Studies on the Mechanism of Kinin Release Induced by Antilymphocyte Globulin
Antilymphocyte serum or globulin (ALG) has been used in man and animals as a means of immunosuppression in the transplantation of allogeneic tissue. Among the side effects encountered during its administration are fever, hypotensive episodes and anaphylactoid reactions. Kashiwagi et al (1968) found that the anaphylactoid reactions were characteristic: within 1–30 minutes of injection the patients became anxious and complained of low back pain. Nausea and involuntary defaecation accompanied cyanosis and hypotension. Recovery took place within 90 minutes. These reactions have been attributed to the presence of pre-formed reaginic or precipitating antibodies in the recipient against the donor of the ALG, or to the presence of aggregated gammaglobulin in the ALG.
KeywordsHorse Serum Anaphylactoid Reaction Kinin Level Passive Cutaneous Anaphylaxis Autologous Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Boreham, P.F.L., and Goodwin, L.G. ‘Bradykinin and Related Kinins’ edited by F. Sicuteri, M. Rocha e Silva and N. Back, p. 539, New York - London, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.Brocklehurst, W.E. and Lahiri, G.C., J. Physiol. (1962) 160, 15.Google Scholar
- 5.Coombs, R.R.A. and Gell, P.G.H. in Clinical Aspects of Immunology, 2nd Edition, Ch. 20, p. 575, Ed: Gell and Coombs, Blackwell, Oxford, 1968.Google Scholar
- 7.Greenbaum, L.M. and Kim, K.S. Brit. J. Pharmacol. (1967), 29, 238.Google Scholar
- 8.Kashiwagi, N., Brantigan, C.O., Brett Schneider, L., Groth, C.G., and Starzl, T.E. Annals of Int. Med. (1968), 68, 275.Google Scholar
- 10.Mongar, J.L. and Perera, B.A.V. J. Physiol. (1962) 162, 70.Google Scholar
- 11.Movat, H.Z. and Di Lorenzo, N.L. Lab. Invest. (1968) 19, 187.Google Scholar
- 12.Movat, H.Z., Di Lorenzo, N.L. and Treloar, M.P. Lab. Invest. (1968) 19, 201.Google Scholar
- 13.Najarian, J.S. and Simmons, R.L. New Eng. J. Med. (1971) 285, 158.Google Scholar
- 14.Talamo, R.C., Haber, E., and Austen, K.F. J. Lab. Clin. Med., (1969) 74, 816.Google Scholar
- 15.Webster, M.E. and Clark, W.R. Am. J. Physiol. (1959) 197, 406.Google Scholar