Changes in Kallikrein Activity of Rat Submandibular Gland during Post-Natal Development
Previous papers of this laboratory have shown that rat kallikreins (urinary, pancreatic and salivary) besides their kininogenic activity exhibit the peculiarity of eliciting contraction of rat uterus apparently independent of a substrate in the uterus. As both properties appear at the same zone of the electrophoretic tracing it is suggested that a single substance is responsible for the effects on uterus and plasma. However, certain reagents inhibit only the kininogenic activity leaving the oxytocicunaffected (Beraldo et al, 1966; Araujo et al, 1970 and Siqueira et al, 1970).
KeywordsAcinar Cell Secretory Granule Submandibular Gland Gland Extract Striate Duct
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Araujo, R. L., W. Dias da Silva and W. T. Beraldo. Kininogenic and oxytocic properties of rat pancreatic juice. In Bradykinin and Related Kinins: Cardiovascular, Biochemical, and Neural Actions. Plenum Press,1970.Google Scholar
- Beraldo, W. T., R. L. Araujo and M. Mares-Guia. Oxytocic esterase in rat urine. Am: J. Physiol. 211, 975, 1966.Google Scholar
- Prado, E. S., J. L. Prado and C. M. W. Brandi. Further purification and some properties of horse urinary kallikrein. Arch. int. Pharmacodyn. CXXXVII, 358, 1962.Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265, 1951.Google Scholar
- Riekkienem, P. J., T. O. Ekfors, T. Hollmen and V. K. HopsuHavu. Purification and physical characteristics of a trypsin-like protease from the rat submandibular gland. Enzymology, 32, 97, 1967.Google Scholar
- Siqueira, G., W. Dias da Silva and W. T. Beraldo. A kinin-like forming enzyme in saliva presenting a potent oxytocic activity. In Bradykinin and Related Kinins: Cardiovascular, Biochemical and Neural Actions. Plenum Press, 1970.Google Scholar