Distribution of Kallikrein, Trypsin-Like Proteases and Amylase in Submaxillary Glands
In recent years, Schachter has questioned the evidence for a humoral, transmitter-like role for submaxillary kallikrein. Subcellular experiments were designed to bring a new approach to this problem which originally arose with the finding of Heidenhain (1872) that chorda nerve mediated vasodilatation in the cat sub-maxillary gland was not blocked by atropine. In the autumn of 1962, experiments were commenced to determine the subcellular localization of kallikrein in homogenates of guinea-pig sub-maxillary gland. The early results appeared to indicate that kallikrein was stored intracellularly in granules (Bhoola & Ogle, 1966). In subsequent studies this finding was confirmed and the kallikrein-containing organelles characterised in greater detail (Bhoola, 1968; Bhoola & Heap, 1970). Essentially similar results have been reported by Erdas and his colleagues in the rat and mouse (Erdäs, Tague & Miwa, 1968; Chang, Eras, Miwa, Tague Coulson, 1968). Furthermore, a similar subcellular distribution pattern has been obtained for kallikrein in homogenates of the submaxillary glands of the cat, dog and rabbit (Bhoola, 1969).
KeywordsSubmaxillary Gland Esterase Activity Lima Bean Soya Bean Trypsin Inhibitor Maxillary Gland
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhoola, K.D. (1968). J. Physiol., Lond. 196, 431–445.Google Scholar
- Bhoola, K.D. Dorey, Gundula (1971). Br. J. Pharmac. In Press.Google Scholar
- Bhoola, K.D. Heap, P.F. (1970). J. Physiol., Lond. 210, 421–432.Google Scholar
- Bhoola, K.D. Ogle, C.W. (1966). J. Physiol., Lond. 184, 663–672.Google Scholar
- Chang, T.S., Erdas, E.G., Miwa, I., Tague, L.L. Coalson, Jacqueline (1968). Circulation Res. 23, 507–517.Google Scholar
- Erdas, E.G., Tague, L.L. Miwa, I. (1968). Biochem. Pharmac. 17, 667–674.Google Scholar
- Frey, E.K., Draut, H. Werle, E. (1951). Kallikrein ( Padutin) Stuttgart: Ferdinand Enke.Google Scholar
- Heap, P.F. Bhoola, K.D. (1969). J. Anat. 105, 525–532.Google Scholar
- Heap, P.F. Bhoola, K.D. (1970). J. Anat. 107, 115–130.Google Scholar
- Hilton, S.M. (1970). In: Bradykinin and Related Kinins. Advances in experimental medicine and biology, 2, 625–628Google Scholar
- Hilton, S.M. Lewis, G.P. (1955). J. Physiol. Lond. 129, 253–271.Google Scholar
- Werle, E. (1970). In Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. 25, 1–13. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar