The Role of Plasmin in the Activation of the Kinin System
Some time ago plasmin was believed to be the main kinin-forming enzyme (1,2). The studies of several investigators indicated that plasmin formed kinin from kininogen at a relatively slow rate (2,3,4,5). However, when added to fresh plasma, plasmin induces rapid generation of kinin and this was interpreted to mean that plasmin activated prekallikrein and kallikrein induced the rapid formation of kinin (4,6,7, 8).
KeywordsFresh Plasma Polyacrylamide Electrophoresis Kinin System Hageman Factor Plasma Kinin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Beraldo, W.T.: Formation of bradykinin in anaphylactic and peptone shock. Amer. J. Physiol., 171: 371, 1950.Google Scholar
- (6).Webster, M.E., and Pierce, J.V.: Studies on plasma kallikrein and its relationship to plasmin. J. Pharmacol.exp.Therap., 130: 484, 1960.Google Scholar
- (9).Burrowes, C.E., Movat, H.Z., and Soltay, M.J.: The kinin system of human plasma. VI. The action of plasmin. Proc.Soc.Exp. Biol. Med., 139: Dec. 1971, in press.Google Scholar
- (10).Soltay, M.J., Movat, H.Z., and Özge Anwar, A.H.: The kinin system of human plasma. V. The probable derivation of prekallikrein activator from activated Hageman factor (XIIa). Proc.Soc. Exp. Biol. Med., 139: Dec. 1971, in press.Google Scholar
- (12).Movat, H.Z., Soltay, M.J., Fuller, P.J. and Özge Anwar, A. H.: The relationship between the plasma kinin-system and the contact phase of blood-coagulation in man. In Vasoactive Polypeptides Back, N., and Sicuteri, F., eds., Plenum Press, New York and London, in press.Google Scholar
- (13).Movat, H.Z., and Özge Anwar, A.H.: The interrelationship between the kinin and blood-clotting systems. Fed. Proc., 30: 451, 1971.Google Scholar
- (14).Özge Anwar, A. H., Movat, H. Z., and Scott, J. G.: The kinin system of human plasma. IV. The interrelationship between the contact phase of blood-coagulation and the plasma kinin system in man, Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh., in press.Google Scholar