Dynamical Effects in the “Phase Change” Behavior of Small Clusters
Results of a detailed dynamical simulation study of a 13-particle Lennard-Jones cluster are presented. They point to the fact that the pattern of the time-evolution of the cluster, and thus its “phase” and “phase change” properties, depend not only on the total energy of the system but also on its initial state. It is found that the maximal Liapunov number can adequately label the different “phases” of a cluster system.
KeywordsPhase Change Small Cluster Configuration Space Total Angular Momentum Cluster System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.R. S. Berry, J. Jellinek, and G. Natanson, Phys. Rev. A30, 919 (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.See, for example, L. Cesari, Asymptotic Behavior and Stability Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1959.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Benettin, L. Galgani, and J.-M. Strelcyn, Phys. Rev. A16, 2338 (1976).Google Scholar
- 12.M. Casartelli, E. Diana, L. Galgani, and A. Scotti, Phys. Rev. A13, 1921 (1976).Google Scholar
- 13.E. K. Parks, B. H. Weiller, P. D. Bechthold, W. F. Hoffman, G. C. Nieman, L. G. Pobo, and S. J. Riley, J. Chem. Phys. (in press)Google Scholar