Studies of Ion Cluster Structures by MS/MS Methods
A tandem mass spectrometer has been employed to study cluster ions by collisionally activated dissociations (CAD), unimolecular fragmentations of metastable ions (MIKES), collision induced dissociative ionization (CIDI) of neutral fragments and collision induced charge stripping (CS). These MS/MS techniques have been applied to clusters incorporating several solvent molecules about a proton, H+(A)1(W) which are of importance in the lower ionosphere and to small carbon cluster ions, C+ n. Information on the structures and fragmentations of these cluster ions obtained by these techniques will be discussed.
KeywordsCollisional Activation Collisionally Activate Dissociation Kinetic Energy Release Mixed Cluster Charge Strip
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.C. Lifshitz, T. Peres, S. Kababia and I. Agranat, C 10 + and C 7 + carbon cluster ions from overcrowded octachloropentafulvalene and octachloronaph-thalene, Int. J. Mass Spectrom. Ion Processes (1987), in press.Google Scholar
- 4.C.A. Deakyne, M. Meot-Ner (Mautner), CL. Campbell, M.G. Hughes and S.P. Murphy, Multicomponent cluster ions. 1. The proton solvated by CH 3 N/H 2 O, J. Chem. Phys. 84 : 4958 (1986).Google Scholar
- 17.F.W. McLafferty, “Interpretation of Mass Spectra”, Benjamin, New York (1973).Google Scholar
- 21.F.H. Field and J.L. Franklin (Ed.), “Ion Molecule Reactions”, Plenum Press, New York, 1: 261 (1972).Google Scholar
- 23.C Lifshitz and M. Iraqi, to be published.Google Scholar
- 25.H. Ziereis and F. Arnold, Combined measurements of ammonia and nitric acid vapours in the free trophosphere using aircraft-borne ACIMS, J. Geophys. Res. (1988), to be submitted.Google Scholar
- 29.C Lifshitz and L Agranat, to be published.Google Scholar
- 31.P.P. Radi, T.L. Bunn, P.R. Kemper, M.E. Molchan and M.T. Bowers, A newmethod for studying carbon clusters in the gas phase: Observation of size specific neutral fragment loss from metastable reactions of mass selected C+ n, n≤60, J. Chem. Phys. (in press).Google Scholar