Small Molecules and Ions: A Thing or Two We Still don’t Understand
This essay is intended as a thorn to start off the discussions of the Workshop on the Structure of Small Molecules and Ions in memory of Professor Itzhak Plesser, by reviewing some of the aspects of small molecules which we do not yet understand. In many of the situations described here, we at least think we know how to express relevant questions; in some cases, we clearly do not yet know how to ask questions that we can address in a systematic way. And in some cases, perhaps the tools for answering the questions are only now emerging, some perhaps in the context of this Workshop.
KeywordsPotential Surface Classical Trajectory Schroedinger Equation Oppenheimer Approximation Triatomic Molecule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1a.R. G. Woolley, in Molecules in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Proc. Conf. dedicated to Prof. R. Daudel, Paris, June, 1986 (to be published), for concerns about this point.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. Bacic and J. C. Light, J. Chem. Phys. (in press); I. P. Hamilton and J. C. Light, J. Chem. Phys. 84, (1986);Google Scholar
- 14.c.f. I. Csizmadia, in Symmetries and Properties of Non-Rigid Molecules, J. Maruani and J. Serre, eds. (Elsevier, New York, 1983), p.315Google Scholar
- 14a.D. Liotardin, Symmetries and Properties of Non-Rigid Molecules, J. Maruani and J. Serre, eds. (Elsevier, New York, 1983), p.323.Google Scholar
- 15a.B. R. Henry, Vib. Spectra Structure 10, 269 (1982).Google Scholar
- 19.B. G. Sumpter and G. S. Ezra, Chem. Phys. Lett. (submitted);Google Scholar
- 20.T. L. Beck, D. M. Leitner and R. S. Berry (submitted for publication);Google Scholar
- 20a.D. M. Leitner, T. L. Beck and R. S. Berry (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 22a.P. Grassberger and I. Procaccia, Physica 9D, 189 (1983);Google Scholar
- 23.cf. R. Loudon, The quantum theory of light, Second Edition (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1983).Google Scholar
- 24.F. Iachello and R. Levine, J. Chem. Phys. 77, 3046 (1982);Google Scholar