Magnetoquantum Oscillations in a Lateral Superlattice
The low temperature magnetoresistance of a high mobility two-dimensional electron gas is dominated by Shubnikov-de Haas oscillations, reflecting the discrete nature of the electron energy spectrum. When a weak one- or two-dimensional periodic potential is superimposed on the two-dimensional electron gas a novel type of oscillations occurs which reflects the commensurability of the relevant lengths in these systems — the cyclotron orbit diameter at the Fermi energy and the period a of the periodic potential. In addition the electron mean free path l e also plays a role since the effect is observable only in mesoscopic systems where l e is significantly longer than the period a of the potential. The essential aspects of these novel commensurability oscillations are discussed here in detail, starting from the discussion of same basic magnetotransport properties in an unmodulated two-dimensional electron gas (2-DEG).
KeywordsCarrier Density Landau Level Periodic Potential Order Perturbation Theory Hall Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aizin, G. R., Volkov, V. A., Sov. Phys. JETP 60, 844 (1984) [Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz 87, 1469 (1984)]Google Scholar
- Eisenstein, J. P., Störmer, H. L., Narayanamurti, V., Cho, A. Y., Gossard, A. C., Phys. Rev. Lett. 55, 1820 (1985), 539 (1985)Google Scholar
- Gerhardts, R. R., in “Science and Engineering of 1- and 0-Dimensional Semicondcutors”, edited by S.P. Beaumont and C.M. Sotomayor Torres (Plenum, London), Proc. NATO ARW, 29 March - 1 April 1989, Cadiz, Spain, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Gerhardts, R. R., Zhang, C., Proc. Eighth Intern. Conf. Electronic Properties of Two-Dimensinal Systems, Grenoble, France, 4-8 Sept. 1989, to be published in Surf. Sci.Google Scholar
- Landau, L. D., Lifshitz, E. M., Course of Theoretical Physics vol. 5 (Oxford: Pergamon) 1976Google Scholar
- Mauterndorf, 1988, Physics and Technology of Submicron Structures, Vol. 83 of Springer Series in Solid-State Sciences, ed. by H. Heinrich, G. Bauer, and F. Kuchar ( Springer, Berlin, 1988 )Google Scholar
- Weiss, D., von Klitzing, K., in “High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductors Physics”, Vol. 71 of Springer Series in Solid State Science, edited by G. Landwehr ( Springer, Berlin, 1987 ), p. 57Google Scholar
- Weiss, D., von Klitzing, K., Ploog, K., Weimann, G., Europhys. Lett. 8, 179 (1989); also in “The Application of High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics”, ed. G. Landwehr, Springer Series in Solid State Sciences (Berlin), to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Weiss, D., Zhang, C., Gerhardts, R. R., von Klitzing, K., Weimann, G., Phys. Rev. B39, 13030 (1989)Google Scholar
- Weiss, D., von Klitzing, K., Ploog, K., Weimann, G., Proc. Eighth Intern. Conf. Electronic Properties of Two-Dimensional Systems, Grenoble, France 4-8 Sept. 1989, to be published in Surf. Sci.Google Scholar
- Zhang, C., Gerhardts, R. R., submitted to Phys. Rev. BGoogle Scholar