Numerical Methods for Robust Eigenstructure Assignment in Control System Design
The state feedback pole assignment problem in control system design is essentially an inverse eigenvalue problem, which requires the determination of a matrix having given eigenvalues (cf. Fletcher, in these proceedings). A number of formally constructive methods for eigenvalue assignment by feedback are described in the literature  , , but these procedures are not in general stable for numerical computation, and do not necessarily lead to robust, or well-conditioned, solutions of the problem, that is, to solutions which are insensitive to perturbations in the system. Stable numerical methods for inverse eigenvalue problems have been developed in other contexts (compare for instance, references , , ), but these procedures are designed to handle only very specific classes of matrices and are not directly applicable to the forms arising in control theory.
KeywordsControl System Design State Feedback Control Pole Assignment Inverse Eigenvalue Problem Eigenstructure Assignment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fletcher, L.R., Kautsky, J., Kolka, G.K.G. and Nichols, N.K. Some necessary and sufficient conditions for eigenstructure assignment. University of Salford Department of Mathematics Rpt. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Golub, G.H. and Kautsky, J. Calculation of Gauss quadratures with multiple free and fixed knots. University of Flinders School of Mathematical Sciences Rpt. (1982).Google Scholar
- Kautsky, J., Nichols, N.K. and Van Dooren, P. Robust eigenstructure assignment in state feedback control. University of Reading Dept. of Mathematics Numerical Analysis Rpt. NA/82 (1982).Google Scholar
- Kautsky, J. and Nichols, N.K. MEAP-1: MATLAB Eigenstructure Assignment Package — Mark 1. Flinders University School of Mathematical Sciences Rpt. (1982).Google Scholar
- Minimis, G.S. and Paige, C.C. An algorithm for pole assignment of time invariant linear systems. McGill University School of Computer Science Rpt. (1982).Google Scholar
- Moler, C.B. MATLAB User’s Guide. University of New Mexico Dept. of Computer Science (1981).Google Scholar