Radiation therapy involves the application of ionising radiation in the treatment of malignant disease. Its importance is illustrated by the fact that as many as 70 per cent of all patients with cancer will receive radiation therapy at some time during their treatment.
KeywordsLinear Energy Transfer Hypoxic Cell Ataxia Telangiectasia Ataxia Telangiectasia Base Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ward, J.F. (1975) Molecular mechanism of radiation-induced damage to nucleic acids. Adv. Radiat. Biol., 5, 181–239Google Scholar
- 6.Kohn, K.W. & Grimek-Ewig, R.A. (1973) Alkaline elution analysis, a new approach to the study of DNA single-strand interruptions in cells. Cancer Res., 33, 1849–53Google Scholar
- 8.Chiu, S.M., Oleinick, N.L., Friedman, L.R. & Stambrook, P.J. (1982) Hypersensitivity of DNA in transcriptionally active chromatin to ionizing radiation. Biochem. Biophys Acta, 699, 15–21Google Scholar
- 12.Friedberg, E.C., Ehmann, U.K. & Williams, J.I. (1979) Human diseases associated with defective DNA repair. Adv. Radiat. Biol., 8, 85–174Google Scholar
- 15.Dixon, B. (1982) Therapeutic radiobiology. In C.A.F. Joslin (ed.) Cancer Topics and Radiobiology, Pitman, London, pp. 17–30Google Scholar
- 18.Steel, G.G. (1977) Growth Kinetics of Tumours, chapter 8, Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 19.Storm, F.K. (ed.) (1983) Hyperthermia in Cancer Therapy, G.K. Hall, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kaplan, H.S. (1979) Experimental frontiers in radiation therapy. In S. Okada, M. Imamura, T. Terashima & H. Yamaguchi (eds) Proc. 6th Int. Congress of Radiation Research, Toppan, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Coggle, J.E. (1983) Biological Effects of Radiation, Taylor and Francis, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Duncan, W. & Nias, A.H.W. (1977) Clinical Radiobiology, Churchill Livingstone, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- Hall, E.J. (1978) Radiobiology for the Radiologist, 2nd edn, Harper and Row, HagerstownGoogle Scholar
- Joslin, C.A.F. (1982) Cancer Topics and Radiotherapy, Pitman, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Steel, G.G., Adams, G.E. & Peckham, M.J. (1983) The Biological Basis of Radiotherapy, Elsevier/North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar