Interactions of Estrogenic Pesticides with Cytochrome P450
This presentation examines a variety of questions concerning the interactions of chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides with cytochrome P450 monooxygenases. In particular, it intends to discuss those pesticides which exhibit estrogenic activity in mammals. An important question concerns whether the estrogenic activity of these pesticides resides in the parent compound or whether estrogenicity of these compounds is primarily due to their respective metabolites. In the latter case, it is anticipated that the alteration in the activity of the enzymes catalyzing the formation of these metabolites would have a pronounced effect on the estrogenic activity of the parent compound. Hence it would be important to identify the enzymes (P450s) catalyzing their formation. These aspects will be examined in some detail.
KeywordsEstrogen Receptor Liver Microsome Reactive Intermediate Estrogenic Activity Covalent Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.W. Levin, R. M. Welch, and A. H. Conney, Fed. Proc., 27:649 (1968).Google Scholar
- 12.D. Kupfer, and W. H. Bulger in: Estrogens in the Environment (J. A. McLachlan, ed), Elsevier/North Holland, New York, pp. 239–263 (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.J. A. Nelson, R. F. Struck, and R. James, Pharmacologist 18:247 (1976).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Kupfer, W. H. Bulger, and A. D. Theoharides, Res. Chem. Toxicol. (in press).Google Scholar
- 18.C-J. H. Lamoureux, and V. J. Feil, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 63:1007 (1980).Google Scholar
- 21.M. J. Juedes, W. H. Bulger, and D. Kupfer, Drug. Metab. Dispos. 15:786 (1984).Google Scholar
- 23.D. Kupfer, and W. H. Bulger, Federation Proc. 46:1864 (1987).Google Scholar
- 31.M. J. Juedes, and D. Kupfer, Drug Metab. Dispos. (in press).Google Scholar
- 32.P.C. Reunitz, Drug Metab. Dispos. 6:631 (1978).Google Scholar
- 35.W. H. Bulger, and D. Kupfer, Biochem. Pharmacol. (in press).Google Scholar
- 36.C. Mani, and D. Kupfer, Fed. Proç., abstract (in press).Google Scholar
- 37.D. Kupfer, and W. H. Bulger, FEBS Letters (in press).Google Scholar