Intrinsic Optical Bistability and Collective Nonlinear Phenomena in Periodic Coupled Microstructures: Model Experiments
Because of its potential applications as optical switching or logic elements and memory devices for digital optical information processing, optical bistability (OB) has generated a great deal of interest . In particular, intrinsic OB devices have attracted much attention because no resonators or external feedback structures are needed . The mechanism is generally traced back to a nonlocal nonlinearity on the basis of induced absorption .
KeywordsOptical Bistability Multiple Quantum Well Excitation Density Nonlinear Optical Response Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.see for example: W. Firth, N. Peyghambarian, and A. Tallet (ed.), “Optical Bistability IV”, J. de Phys., Coll. C 2, Les Editions de Physique, Les Ulis (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.H.G. Winful and G.I. Stegemann, Applications of nonlinear periodic structures in guided wave optics, Proc. SPIE 517: 214 (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.W. Chen and D.L. Mills, Optical response of nonlinear multilayer structures: Bilayers and Superlattices, Phys. Rev. B 36: 6269 (1987–11).Google Scholar
- 14.D. Jäger, Large optical nonlinearities in hybrid semiconductor devices, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, submitted.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Kuhlmann, On the propagation of harmonic waves in nonlinear conservative systems, internal report, Univ. Münster, unpublished (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.J.E. Sipe, Nonlinear optical properties of periodic composite materials, paper TuE1, presented at the Top. Meeting on Nonlinear Optical Properties of Materials, Troy N.Y. (1988).Google Scholar
- 20.D. Jäger, On properties and applications of nonlinear waves, unpublished work (1979).Google Scholar