Femtosecond Dynamics of Semiconductor Nonlinearities: Theory and Experiments
Ultrafast transmission changes in semiconductors are computed and measured for different pump-probe conditions. The optical Stark effect of excitons and continuum states is observed for nonresonant femtosecond excitation. Differential transmission oscillations are seen as precursers of the Stark effect. They occur also as precursers of spectral hole burning when the excitation pulse is tuned into the region of resonant interband transitions. The experimental results agree well with calculations using the generalized semiconductor Bloch equations. The theory shows that the commonly used adiabatic approximation is correct only for pulses which are longer than the coherence decay time. For shorter times the semiconductor response is dominated by the coherent interaction of the pulses with the medium polarization.
KeywordsPump Pulse Probe Pulse Stark Shift Oscillatory Structure Transmission Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. P. Sokoloff, M. Joffre, B. Fluegel, D. Hulin, M. Lindberg, S. W. Koch, A. Migus, A. Antonetti, and N. Peyghambarian, Phys. Rev. B38, October 15 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.S. W. Koch, N. Peyghambarian, and M. Lindberg, J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys. 21 (review article, 1988)Google Scholar
- 6.N. Peyghambarian, B. Fluegel, S.W. Koch, J. Sokoloff, M. Lindberg, M. Joffre, D. Hulin, A. Migus, and A. Antonetti, Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena, Mt. Hiei, Kyoto/Japan, July 12-15 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.C. Ell, J. F. Müller, K. El Sayed, and H. Haug, submitted for publication; C. Ell, L. Banyai, J. F. Müller, K. El Sayed, and H. Haug, physica status solidi (b) to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.see, e.g., R.G. Brewer, in Frontiers of Laser Spectroscopy, Proceedings of the Les Houches Summer School XXVII, eds. R. Balian, S. Haroche and S. Liberman (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1977), p. 341Google Scholar
- 14.M. Lindberg and S.W. Koch, Phys. Rev. B38, October 15 (1988)Google Scholar
- 16.W. H. Knox, D.S. Chemla, D.A.B. Miller, J.B. Stark, and S. Schmitt-Rink, post-dealine paper PD-19, XIV International Conference on Quantum Electronics IQEC’88, Tokyo/Japan, July 18-21, 1988Google Scholar