Analysis and Design of High-Power Rectifiers
In this paper all aspects of the design and analysis of high-power rectifiers are presented. In the first section, the results of a study are given which identify the limiting physical mechanisms affecting forward drop in power rectifiers. In the second section, the effect of packaging variations on surge and steady-state device ratings is investigated. In the third section, the effect that gold, platinum, and electron irradiation have on the switching speed, forward drop and “snappiness” of power rectifiers is analyzed using a method to directly measure the free-carrier concentration while the device is switching. Device analysis, wherever presented, is made using an exact numerical model in one dimension which allows for temperature- and time-dependent calculations on devices imbedded in inductive switching circuits.
KeywordsPower Dissipation Carrier Lifetime Surface Recombination Peak Current Density Auger Recombination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.D.M. Caughey and R.E. Thomas, “Carrier Mobilities in Silicon Empirically Related to Doping and Field,” Proc. IEEE (Lett.), 55 (1967) 2192–2193.Google Scholar
- 6.F.W. Staub and M.H. McLaughlin, “High Current Solid State Power Conversion Equipment Cooling,” paper AlChE-15 presented at National Heat Transfer Conference, August 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.M.H. McLaughlin and E.E. Von Zastrow, “Power Semiconductor Equipment Cooling Methods and Application Criteria,” in Conf. Rec. 1974 9th Ann. Meet. IEEE Industry Applications Soc. (October 1974), 1119–1129.Google Scholar
- 9.M.S. Adler, B.A. Beatty, S. Krishna, V.A.K. Temple, and M.L. Torreno, “Second Breakdown in Power Transistors Due to Avalanche Injection,” IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, ED-23 (1976) 851–857.Google Scholar
- 13.K.S. Tarneja and J.E. Johnson, “Tailoring the Recovered Charge in Power Diodes Using 2 MeV Electron Irradiation,” Electrochemical Soc. Meeting, Paper 261RNP, 1975.Google Scholar
- 14.B.J. Baliga and E. Sun, “Lifetime Control in Power Rectifiers Using Gold, Platinum and Electron Irradiation,” IEEE (1976), IEDM Technical Digest, Washington, D.C., (1978) 495.Google Scholar
- 15.J.L. Brown, U.S. Patent No. 3877997.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Jaecklin, et al., U.S. Patent No. 3943549.Google Scholar