The Inhibitory Action of Somatostatin on the Stomach
The finding of somatostatin-like immunoreactivity in the D-cells of the pancreas and in the lamina propria in the gastric wall1 has given evidence for a role of this peptide in the regulation of pancreatic and gastric functions. The recent discovery by Uvnäs-Wallensten et al. of somatostatin-like material in the gastric secretion2 and the description by Larsson et al. of a patient with a somatostatinoma3 give further support to the idea of a regulatory role of somatostatin in this area. In this presentation, the effects of somatostatin on the stomach will be reviewed and discussed.
KeywordsGastric Motility Serum Gastrin Gastric Function Gastrin Release Pepsin Output
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hokfeldt T, Efendic S, Hellstrom C, Johansson O, Luft R, Arimura A: Cellular localization of somatostatin in endocrine-like cells and neurons of the rat with special reference to the A1-cells of the pancreatic islets and to the hypothalamus area. Acta Endocrin. (Kbh). Suppl. 200, 5–41, 1975Google Scholar
- 4.Bloom SR, Mortimer CH, Thorner MO, Besser GM, Hall R, Gomez-Pan A, Roy VM, Russel RGG, Coy DH, Kastin AJ, Schally AV: Inhibition of gastrin and gastric acid secretion by growth hormone release-inhibiting hormone. Lancet II, 1106–1109, 1974Google Scholar
- 5.Vatn MH, Schrumpf E, Hanssen KF, Myren J: The effect of somatostatin on the pentagastrin-stimulated gastric secretion and on the release of gastrin in man. Scand. J. Gastroent. In pressGoogle Scholar
- 6.Schlegel W, Raptis S, Dollinger HC, Pfeiffer EF: Inhibition of secretin-pancreozymin and gastrin release and their biological activities by somatostatin. pp. 361–377 in Bonfils et al. (eds). First International Symposium on Hormonal Receptors in Digestive Tract Physiology. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, 1977Google Scholar
- 8.Schrumpf E, Stadaas J, Hanssen KF: Somatostatin inhibits gastric motility in response to distention. Scand. J. Gastroent. 11, suppl. 38, 111, 1976Google Scholar