Hormonal Control of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter in Man and Dog: Reevaluation of the Present Manometric Method for Diagnosis of GE Reflux
Previously, we reported that the contractile activity of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and stomach were coordinated during the interdigestive state1,2. Both the LES and stomach cycled between periods of strong contractions and longer periods of quiescence; these data were gathered by long-term measurements made by chronically implanted force transducers in conscious dogs. In the present study, we will report on the effect of gut hormones on LES interdigestive contractile activity in the dog and human.
KeywordsLower Esophageal Sphincter Contractile Activity Lower Esophageal Sphincter Pressure Paper Speed Gastric Body
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Itoh Z, Honda R, Hiwatash K, Takeuchi S, Aizawa I, Takayanagi R, Couch EF: Motilin-induced mechanical activity in the canine alimentary tract. Scand J Gastroent 11 (Suppl 39): 93–110, 1976Google Scholar
- 2.Itoh Z, Honda R, Aizawa I, Takeuchi S, Hiwatashi K and Couch EF: Interdigestive motor activity of the lower esophageal sphincter in the conscious dogs. Submitted to Am J Dig Dis.Google Scholar
- 5.Itoh Z, Aizawa I, Takeuchi S, Couch EF: Hunger contractions and motilin. In Proceedings of 5th International Symposium on Gastrointestinal Motility, edited by G Vantrappen. Typoff-Press, Herentals, Belgium, 1975. p. 48–55Google Scholar
- 10.Wingate DL, Ruppin H, Green VIER, Thompson HH: Motil in-induced electrical activity in the canine gastrointestinal tract. Scand J Gastroent 11 (Suppl 39): 111–118, 1976Google Scholar
- 11.Jennewein HM, Bauer R, Hummelt H, Lepsin G, Siewert R: Motilin effects on gastrointestinal motility and lower esophageal sphincter (LES) pressure in dogs. Scand J Gastroent 11 (Suppl 39): 63–65, 1976Google Scholar
- 12.Lux G, Rösch W, Domschke S, Domschke W, Wunsch E, Jaeger E and Demling L: Intravenous 13-nle-motilin increases the human lower esophageal sphincter pressure. Scand J Gastroent 11 (Suppl 39): 75–79, 1976Google Scholar
- 13.Domschke W, Lux G, Mitznegg P, Rosch W, Domschke S, Bloom SR, Wunsch E, Demling L: Relationship of plasma motilin response to lower esophageal sphincter pressure in man. Scand J Gastroent 11(Suppl 39): 81–84, 1976Google Scholar
- 14.Hellemans J, Vantrappen G and Bloom SR: Endogenous motilin and the LES pressure. Scand J Gastroent 11 (Suppl 39): 67–73, 1976Google Scholar