Control Mechanisms in the Sympathetic Nervous System
Ever since the science of neurobiology emerged from the more general field of biological sciences, the main effort has been directed to gaining information on the laws which control growth and differentiation of its 10 billion nerve cells and on the factors which operate in the building of the immensely complex wiring system between neurons and between these cells and their highly diversified end organs. It is fortunate that the first students in this field perhaps did not even realize the magnitude of the problem which they were facing and the impossibility of solving it with the primitive tools and techniques which were then available, for otherwise they would have invested no further efforts along this line.
KeywordsNerve Growth Factor Nerve Cell Nerve Cell Population Snake Venom Sympathetic Nerve Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hamburger, V. Physiol. Zool. 12:268 (1939).Google Scholar
- 7.Levi-Montalcini, R. Harvey Lectures Ser. 60:217 (1966).Google Scholar
- 12.Levi-Montalcini, R. Proc. XIV Intern. Cong. Zool. Copenhagen, 1953, p. 309.Google Scholar
- 14.Cohen, S., Levi-Montalcini, R.. and Hamburger, V. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. 40:10l4 (1954).Google Scholar
- 17.Cohen, S. in Chemical Basis of Development (Eds. W. D. McElroy, B. Glass), Johns Hopkins Press, p. 665 (1958).Google Scholar
- 18.Levi-Montalcini, R. in Chemical Basis of Development (Eds. W. D. McElroy, B. Glass), Johns Hopkins Press, p. 646 (1958).Google Scholar
- 22.Angeletti, R. H., Bradshaw, R. A., and Wade, R. D. Biochem. in press.Google Scholar
- 27.Levi-Montalcini, R., and Angeletti, P. U. in Organogenesis (Eds. R. L. DeHaan, H. Ursprung), Holt Rinehart & Winston, p. 187 (1965).Google Scholar
- 29.Levi-Montalcini, R., and Angeletti, P. U. in Regional Neurochemistry (Eds. S. Kety, J. Elkes), Pergamon, p. 362 (1961).Google Scholar
- 33.Porter, C. C., Totaro, J. A., and Stone, C. A. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therap. l40:308 (1963).Google Scholar
- 35.Tranzer, J. P., Thoenen, H., Snipes, R. L., and Richards, J. G. in Prog, in Brain Res., vol. 31 (Eds. K. Akert, P. G. Waser), Elsevier, p. 33 (1969).Google Scholar