Regulation of Follicle Stimulating Hormone Secretion by Natural and Synthetic Corticosteroids
A preeminent role has been given to the ovary as the source of steroids in the regulation of LH and FSH secretion. However, the adrenal also has great capacity to secrete steroids and may contribute significantly to the overall steroid milieu, leading to the preovulatory (PO) surges of LH and FSH, the estrous surge of FSH, and ovulation in the female rat. Adrenalectomy before day 25 in the female rat has been shown to delay puberty, an effect that is reversed by corticosterone replacement (1). This delay in puberty may be due to decreased FSH secretion since adrenalectomy has been shown to result in the acute suppression of FSH release in the immature rat (2). In the adult cycling rat, adrenalectomy has been reported to attenuate the proestrous LH and FSH surges (3), prolong the critical period (4), increase irregular cyclicity (4), reduce ovulation number (5), and disrupt follicular development (5).
KeywordsTriamcinolone Acetonide Gonadotropin Secretion Adrenal Steroid Synthetic Corticosteroid Gonadotropin Surge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gelato M, Meites J, Wuttke W: Adrenal involvement in the timing of puberty in female rats: interaction with serum prolactin levels. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1978; 89: 590–7.Google Scholar
- 7.Freeman ME: The ovarian cycle of the rat. In: Knobil E, Neill J, eds. The physiology of reproduction. New York: Raven Press, 1988: 1893–928.Google Scholar
- 8.Raps S, Barthe PL, Desaulles PA: Plasma and adrenal corticosterone levels during the different phases of the sexual cycle in normal female rats. Experientia 1970; 21: 339–40.Google Scholar
- 11.Braun DW, Putnam CD, Mahesh VB: Validation of the mechanisms proposed for the stimulatory and inhibitory effects of progesterone on gonadotropin secretion in the estrogen-primed rat. A possible role for adrenal steroids. Steroids 1991 (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Brann DW, Putnam CD, Mahesh VB: Corticosteroid regulation of gonadotropin secretion and induction of ovulation in the rat. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1990; 190: 176–80.Google Scholar
- 14.Brann DW, McDonald JK, Putnam CD, Mahesh VB: Changes in MBH LHRH and NPY associated with progesterone and triamcinolone acetonide-induced LH and FSH release [Abstract 3770]. Soc Neurosci, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.Brann DW, Mahesh VB: Regulation of gonadotropin secretion by steroid hormones. Frontiers Neuroendocrinol 1991 (in press).Google Scholar
- 16.Brann DW, Mahesh VB: Endogenous excitatory amino acid regulation of the progesterone-induced LH and FSH surges in estrogen-primed ovariectomized rats. Neuroendocrinology 1990.Google Scholar