A General Ocean Circulation Model Determined in a Simultaneous Solution with the Earth’s Gravity Field
Over the past several years, determination of the sea surface topography using satellite altimetry has been greatly improved due to the implementation of a technique which simultaneously solves for the sea surface topography, the gravity field of the Earth, and the satellite orbit [Tapley et al.,1988; Marsh et al., 1989; Nerem,1989; Engelis and Knudsen; 1989]. The sea surface topography, ζ, is defined as the deviation of the ocean surface from the geoid due to the geostrophic component of the ocean currents.
KeywordsGravity Field Satellite Orbit Satellite Altimetry Altimeter Data Geoid Height
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Engelis, T., and P. Knudsen (1989) Orbit Improvement and Determination of the Ocean Geoid and Topography from 17 Days of Seasat Data, Manuscripta Geodetica, Vol. 14, pp. 193–201.Google Scholar
- Kaula, W. M. (1966) Theory of Satellite Geodesy, Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass.Google Scholar
- Levitus, S. (1982) Climatological Atlas of the World Ocean, NOAA Professional Paper 13, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, Rockville, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Marsh, J. G., F. J. Lerch, C. J. Koblinsky, S. M. Klosko, J. W. Robbins, R. G. Williamson, and G. B. Patel (1989a) Dynamic Sea Surface Topography, Gravity, and Improved Orbit Accuracies from the Direct Evaluation of SEASAT Altimetry Data, NASA Technical Memorandum 100735, Goddard Space Flight Center.Google Scholar
- McConathy, D. R., and C. C. Kilgus (1987) The Navy Geosat Mission: An Overview, Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest, 8 (2).Google Scholar
- Nerem, R. S. (1989) Determination of the General Ocean Circulation Using Satellite Altimetry From a Simultaneous Solution for the Earth’s Gravity Field, Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Nowlin, W. D. (1987) World Ocean Circulation Experiment (WOCE), Status of US Planning for WOCE, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 68, No. 12, pp. 1559–1565.Google Scholar
- Pavlis, N. K. (1988) Modeling and Estimation of a Low Degree Geopotential Model From Terrestrial Gravity Data, Department of Geodetic Science and Surveying, The Ohio State University, Report No. 386.Google Scholar
- Shum, C.-K. (1983) Altimeter Methods in Satellite Geodesy, Center for Space Research Report, CSR-83–2, The University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. C., J. C. Ries, C. K. Shum, B. E. Schutz, and B. D. Tapley (1988) Precision Orbit Determination for the Geosat Exact Repeat Mission, AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Conference, Technical Papers, pp. 35–45.Google Scholar
- TOPEX (1981) Satellite Altimetric Measurements of the Ocean, Report of the TOPEX Science Working Group, NASA, JPL Doc. 400–111.Google Scholar