The Mean Sea Level of the Gulf Stream Estimated from Satellite Altimetric and Infrared Data
Altimeters aboard satellites such as Seasat and Geosat, flying around 700 km above sea level, measure sea level at a rate of one sample averaged over approximately 6.7 km every second. Such sampling has yielded unprecented coverage in deep water where tide gages cannot be placed and in ocean regions where weather discourages ship presence, at a rate 1400 times faster than a ship carrying a gravimeter (although the satellite has somewhat less alongtrack resolution for gravity than a ship does). These data have been applied to a wide variety of geophysical and oceanographic applications (e.g., Douglas et al., 1987).
KeywordsGulf Stream Satellite Altimetry Absolute Dynamic Topography Wavelength Separation Geosat Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Engelis, T., Radial Orbit error reduction and sea surface topography determination using satellite altimetry, Report 377, Ohio State University, Department of Geodetic Science and Surveying, Columbus, Ohio, 43210., 1987Google Scholar
- Kelly, Kathryn A and Sarah T. Gille, Gulf Stream Surface Transport and Statistics from the Geosat Altimeter, J. Geophys. Res., in press, 1989Google Scholar
- Marsh, J.G, F.J.Lerch, C.J.Koblinsky, S.M.Klosko, J.W. Robbins, R.G.Williamson, and G.B. Patel, Dynamic Sea Surface Topography, Gravity and Improved Orbital accuracies from the direct evaluation of Seasat Altimetry, NASA Technical Memorandum, available from Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771„ 1989Google Scholar
- Richardson, P.L., The Benjamin Franklin and Timothy Folger charts of the Gulf Stream, In: Oceanography, The Past. M Sears and D. Merriman (ed.), Springer Verlag, 812 pp, 1980Google Scholar
- Roemmich D. and C. Wunsch, On combining satellite altimetry with hydrographic data, J. Mar. res. 40, 605–619, 1982Google Scholar
- Vazquez, Jorge, V. Zlotnicki and L.-L. Fu, Sea Level Variabilities in the Gulf Stream between Cape Hatteras and 502W - A Geosat study, J. Geophys. Res., submitted, 1989Google Scholar
- Worthington, L.V., On the North Atlantic Circulation, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore Md., 110 pp, 1976Google Scholar
- Zlotnicki V., L.-L. Fu, and W. Patzert, Seasonal Variability in Global Sea Level observed with Geosat altimetry, J. Geophys. Res. in press., 1989Google Scholar
- Zlotnicki, V. and J.G. Marsh, Altimetry, ship gravimetry and the general circulation of the North Atlantic, Geophys. Res. Lett., in press., 1989Google Scholar