Aqueous Two-Phase Systems for the Large-Scale Purification of Enzymes
For the production of enzymes the need exists for more efficient isolation and purification techniques. The commercial isolation of intracellular enzymes still resembles normal laboratory procedures, only made larger. For the first steps in isolation, where large quantities and volumes are involved, new processes are particularly needed with the potential for easy scale up and continuous processing under conditions which favor the stability of the biological materials. The removal of cell debris from crude extracts, for example, is still a major technical problem (1). Centrifuges with the necessary capacity have low g-forces and are often inefficient. Filtration as an alternative process is handicaped by the colloidal nature of the suspended materials and by the high viscosity of the extracts, which make filtrations slow and cumbersome. Therefore, we have been searching for a better procedure for the clarification of crude extracts and have investigated a liquid-liquid separation technique for large scale work (2, 3).
KeywordsPartition Coefficient Phase System Optimal Flow Rate Colloidal Nature Partition Step
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NAEHER, G. and THUM, W. in “Industrial Aspects of Biochemistry,” vol. 1 (B. Spencer, ed. ), FEBS 1974, p. 47.Google Scholar
- 2.KULA, M.-R. and KRONER, K.H. Absti 5 Intei. Feimen. Symp. Beilin 3. 14, 1976.Google Scholar
- 3.KULA, M.-R., KRONER, K.H., DUREKOVIC, A. and STACH, W. German Offenlegungsschrift 2, 616, 584; 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.ALBERTSSON, P.A. “Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules,” 2nd ed., Wiley, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- 6.ALBERTSSON, P.A. Methods in Vilology 2: 303, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.HUSTEDT, H., KRONER, K.H. and KULA, M.-R. this volume.Google Scholar
- 10.BENDER, H. Aich. Mikiobiol. 71: 331, 1970.Google Scholar
- 12.FLANAGAN, S.D. and BARONDES, S.H. J. Biol. Chem. 250: 1484, 1975.Google Scholar
- 15.BUCKMANN, A.F., MORR, M. and KULA, M.-R., this volume.Google Scholar