Liposomes as Carriers of Proteins: Possible Medical Applications
The use of proteins in therapeutic and preventive medicine is often associated with a number of difficulties. In inherited metabolic disorders, for instance, replacement therapy with enzymes foreign to the body can be immunogenic and promote hypersensitivity reactions. In addition, access of such enzymes to the target is often poor either because of inactivation by extracellular or intracellular agents or because of target inaccessibility. Some enzymes, such as glycohydrolases potentially useful in the treatment of lysosomal storage diseases, have been shown to act on non-target substrates located on cell surfaces or circulating glycoproteins, thus upsetting normal metabolism (1). In other instances administration of a protein through a particular route which would have been beneficial to the patient, is impossible because of the protein’s properties. Thus, oral treatment of diabetes and of other peptide hormone deficiencies is prevented by the hormone’s vulnerability in the gut.
KeywordsLysosomal Storage Disease Dipalmitoyl Phosphatidylcholine Empty Liposome Aqueous Space Dimyristoyl Phosphatidylcholine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.GREGORIADIS, G., PUTMAN, D., LOUIS, L. & NEERUNJUN, D. Biochem. J. 140:323,1974.Google Scholar
- 2.GREGORIADIS, G.New Engt. J. Med.295:704 & 765, 19 76.Google Scholar
- 5.BLACK, C.D.V. & GREGORIADIS,G. Biochem. Soc. Titans. 4: 253, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.WISSE, E., GREGORIADIS, G. & DAEMS, W.Th. in “The Reticuloendothelial System in Health and Disease: Functions and characteristics,” ( S.M. Reichard, M.R. Escobar & H. Friedman, eds.), Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, 1976, p. 237.Google Scholar
- 9.GREGORIADIS, G., NEERUNJUN, D.E. & HUNT, R. Life. Sciences 21: 357, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.BRAIDMAN, I.P. & GREGORIADIS, G.Biochem.J. 164: 439, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.BELCHETZ, P.E., BRAIDMAN, I.P., CRAWLEY, J.C.W. & GREGORIADIS, G. Lancet.ii: 116, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.DAPERGOLAS, G. & GREGORIADIS, G.Biochem. Soc.Tians. 5: 1383, 1977.Google Scholar
- 14.DAPERGOLAS, G. & GREGORIADIS, G. Lancet ii: 824, 1976.Google Scholar
- 15.ALLISON, A.C. & GREGORIADIS, G. in “Recent Results in Cancer Research,” ( G. Mathe, I. Florentin & M.-C. Simmler, eds.), Springer Verlag, Heildenberg, 1976, p. 58.Google Scholar