Optimization of Activities of Immobilized Lysozyme, α-Chymotrypsin, and Lipase
Two areas of recent development are enzyme immobilization on solid matrices (1) and chemical modification of proteins by soluble reagents (2). Surprisingly, in development of optimum immobilization recipes, there appear to have been no attempts to correlate results between these clearly related areas of enzyme catalysis. As the specific activity (rate per enzyme) of soluble modified enzymes is easily determined by comparison with that of immobilized enzymes, it may be expected that the existence of such correlations would prove a useful screening device for new immobilization recipes. Prior to presenting this study, several pertinent papers are summarized.
KeywordsCircular Dichroism Circular Dichroism Spectrum Acetic Anhydride Soluble Enzyme Bead Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goldman, R., Goldstein, L., and Katchalski, E., in “Biochemical Aspects of Reactions on Solid Supports”, G.R. Stark, Ed., p. 1, Academic Press, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- 2.Means, G.E., and Feeney, R.E., “Chemical Modification of Proteins”, Holden-Day, Inc., 1971.Google Scholar
- 6.Zabriskie, D., O11is, D., and Burger, M.M., Biotech. and Bioengg. (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.Datta, R., Armiger, W., and Ollis, D.F., Biotech. and Bioengg. (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.Haurowitz, F., “Immunochemistry and the Biosynthesis of Antibodies”, p. 18, Interscience, 1968.Google Scholar
- 11.Oppenheimer, H.L., Labouesse, B., and Hess, G.P., J. Biol. Chem. 241, 2720 (1966).Google Scholar
- 13.Belenkii, B.G., and Drestova, V.A., Biokhimiya 30, 878 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.Maeda, H., and Ishida, N., Biochem. Biophys. Acta 147, 597 (1967).Google Scholar
- 17.Yang, J.T., “Conformation of Biopolymers”, Vol. 1, G.N. Ramachandran, ed., p. 157, Academic Press, 1967.Google Scholar
- 20.Pecheré, J., Dixon, G.H., Maybury, R.H., and Neurath, H., J. Biol. Chem. 233, 1364 (1958).Google Scholar
- 21.Ollis, D.F., Datta, R., and Cox, E.C. (submitted to Science).Google Scholar