The Physical and Biological Properties of 7S and β-NGF from the Mouse Submaxillary Gland
Recent progress with the Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) from the mouse submaxillary gland has concentrated on the further characterization of the two major molecular weight forms in which it exists, namely the 7S NGF complex present in homogenates of the gland and the smaller basic proteins which may be obtained from the complex by dissociation. 0f the latter, two species, the β subunit isolated from 7S NGF (21) and 2.5 S NGF, obtained from the complex at an intermediate stage in its purification (4) have been investigated in detail. Such studies are the basis for an examination of structurefunction relationships and for a variety of approaches to determine the mechanism of action of NGF. Although the morphological effects of NGF are well described, the sequence of biochemical events underlying these phenomena remains obscure.
KeywordsNerve Growth Factor Submaxillary Gland Sympathetic Ganglion Fiber Outgrowth Specific Biological Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Angeletti, P.U., Gandini-Attardi, D., Toschi, G., Salvi, M.I. and Levi-Montalcini, R., Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 95 (1965) 111.Google Scholar
- 9.Hoffman, H., in Biochemistry of Brain and Behavior (Ed. Bowman, R.E. and Datta, S.P.) Plenum Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- 10.Levi-Montalcini, R. and Angeletti, P.U. in Growth of the Nervous System (Ed. Wolstenholme, G.E.W. and O’Connor, M.) Churchill, London, 1968.Google Scholar
- 11.Levi-Montalcini, R., Meyer, H. and Hamburger, V., Cancer Res., 14 (1954) 49.Google Scholar
- 14.Perez-Polo, J.R., Bamburg, J.R., De Jong, W.W.W., Straus, D., Baker, M. and Shooter, E.M., in Nerve Growth Factor and its Antiserum (Ed. Zaimis, E., Vernon, C.H. and Edwards, D.C.) Athlone Press, London, 1972.Google Scholar
- 19.Treska-Ciesielski, J., Gombos, G. and Morgan, I.G., C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, 273 (1971) 1041.Google Scholar
- 22.Varon, S. and Shooter, E.M. in Biochemistry of Brain and Behavior (Ed. Bowman, R.E. and Datta, S.P.) Plenum Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar