Progress towards a Robotic Aid for the severely Disabled
During the past several years a number of projects have studied the feasibility of using robots to serve the needs of the severely disabled (1–4). The goal has been to build a device for use in the performance of activities of everyday living, as well as in recreational and vocational tasks, by persons whose upper and lower limb functions are impaired due to disease or injury.
KeywordsMobile Robot Voice Command Servo Controller Lower Limb Function Rehabilitation Engineer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Funakubo H. A newly created electrical total arm prosthesis of module type controlled by microcomputer and voice command system. Acta Medicotechnica 29 (2), 45–48, 1981.Google Scholar
- (2).Scheider W., Scmeisser G, Seamone W. A computer-aided robotic arm/-worktable system for the high-level quadriplegic. IEEE Computer 41–47, January 1981.Google Scholar
- (3).Guittet J, Kwee HH, Quetin N, Yolon J. The Spartacus Telethesis: Manipulator control studies. Bulletin of Prosthetics Research BPR-32 69105, Fall 1979.Google Scholar
- (4).Leifer L. Rehabilitative Robotics. Robotics Age, 4–15, May 1981.Google Scholar
- (5).Leifer L. Restoration of motor function - a robotics approach. Uses of Computers in Aiding the Disabled Josef Raviv, ed. North-Holland Publishing Co., New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- (6).Buckley C. Organization of a control system for a manipulative aid. Proc. 6th Annual Conf. on Rehabilitation Engineering San Diego, CA., 350352, 1983.Google Scholar
- (7).Buckley C, Leifer L. Fast interactive control of a manipulator for the severely disabled. Proc. American Control Conference Arlington, VA, 11951198, 1982.Google Scholar
- (8).Angius B, Engelhardt KG, Leifer L. Recreational applications of a robotic aid. Proc. 6th Annual Conf. on Rehabilitation Engineering San Diego, CA., 366–368, 1983.Google Scholar
- (9).Awad R, Engelhardt KG, Leifer L. Development of training procedures for an interactive voive-controlled robotic aid. Proc. 6th Annual Conf. on Rehabilitation Engineering, San Diego, CA., 276–278, 1983.Google Scholar
- (10).Michalowski S, Leifer L, Van der Loos M. Computer system for an advanced manipulation aid. Proc. 9th Annual Conference on Rehabilitation Engineering Minneapolis, MN, 1986.Google Scholar
- (11).Van der Loos M, Michalowski S, Leifer L. A mobile manipulation aid for the severely disabled. Proc. 9th Annual Conference on Rehabilitation Engineering Minneapolis, MN, 1986.Google Scholar