Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Optical Fibre Reflective Sensors for Robotics
The scale of application of robots in industry or other fields will, to a high degree, depend on the robots’ sensing capabilities. Robot sensors are an area of extensive research activity. Over the past few years different types of vision, proximity, touch, slip and force sensors have been developed. Recently there has been rapid development in fibre optics and optical fibre sensors for different industrial applications.
This paper presents two kinds of optical fibre reflective sensors for robotics, namely the optical fibre proximity sensor and the optical fibre colour recognition sensor. Models of both sensors are presented. Investigation of models is described and results obtained are briefly discussed.
Although both sensors were developed for robotics, they can easily be used in other industrial fields.
KeywordsOptical Fibre Output Signal Colour Object Sensor Head Electronic Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bejczy A.K.Application of fibre Optics to Robotics,IFDC,vol.l, No 2, Nov. 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Bejczy A.K. Smart Sensors for Smart Hands, Progress in Astronau tics and Aeronatics, Vol. 67, AIAA Publ. New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Catros I.Y. at al.Automatic Grasping Using Infrared Sensors, 8 ISIR, Stuttgart, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Marszalec E. at al.Application of Optical Fibre Technology to Robotics, Report of ITLiMS PW, Warsaw, Poland, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Marszalec E. Optical Fibre Colour Recognition Sensor and Its Application for Control of Robot, Its National Conference on Robotics, Wroclaw, 1985, (in Polish).Google Scholar
- 6.Marszalec E. at al. Fibre Optic Instrumentation of a Robot Gripper III National Symposium on Optical Fibres and Their Application, Jablonna, 1983 (in PolishGoogle Scholar
- 7.Marszalec J., Optical Fibre Proximity Sensor for Control of Robot Gripper, 10th National Conference on TMM, Warsaw,1984,PolandGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yoshimoto K., at al.,Development of Colour Information Processing System for Robot Vision, Robot Developments 1983, IFS Publications 1983.Google Scholar