Structure of Agricultural Input and Output Industries
Our efforts in this chapter will be directed toward determining the position on the spectrum of competition, ranging from pure competition to monopoly, which is occupied by representatives of the industries providing inputs to agriculture and those buying the output from agriculture. The purpose will be to assess the range of economic opportunities afforded them as a result of their position on the spectrum. The ultimate objective, of course, is to be able to say something regarding strategies relating to price and output which are open to the economic actors with which we are concerned. Hopefully, this will provide bases for policy and program implications and possible prescriptive measures that will be in the public interest. The structural format set forth in the preceding chapter will be used in this effort, especially the range of competition scale as shown in Chapter 1 (p. 13) and the structure, conduct, and performance model of industrial organization at the end of the same chapter.
KeywordsLarge Firm Market Power Agricultural Input Farm Input Output Industry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bureau of the Census 1981. Concentration Ratios in Manufacturing. U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Connor, J. M., Rogers, R. T., Marion, B. W., and Mueller, W. F. 1985. The Food Manufacturing Industries, Structure and Strategies, Performance and Policies. Lexington Books, D. C. Heath and Co., Lexington, MA/Toronto.Google Scholar
- Farris, P. 1970. Truck shipments from Indiana country elevators, 196869 marketing year. Indiana Agricultural Experiment Station Research Report 376. Purdue University, Lafayette, INGoogle Scholar
- Greig, W. S. 1984. Economics and Management of Food Processing. AVI Publishing Co., Westport, CT.Google Scholar
- Lanzillotti, R. 1980. The Conglomerate Corporation—An Antitrust Law and Economics Symposium, edited by Roger D. Blair, Sponsored by the Public Policy Research Center and The College of Law, University of Florida, Gainesville.Google Scholar
- Moore, J. R. 1959. Market Structure and Competitive Behavior in the Dairy Industry, The Present State of Knowledge. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Agriculture 1979. Structure Issues of American Agriculture, Economics, Statistics, and Cooperative Services. Agricultural Economic Report 438. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service, Sources. Book of Corporation Income Tax Returns (applicable years). Washington, DC.Google Scholar