DRTF1/E2F: A Molecular Switch in Cell Cycle Control
The cell cycle is a series of phases through which a cell must pass in order to divide. It is usually considered to be composed of four phases: the gap before DNA replication (G1), the DNA synthesis phase (S), the gap after DNA replication (G2) and the mitotic phase (M). In fact these phases represent a series of complex events which are regulated at different levels. One important level of control is the regulation of the transcriptional activity of particular genes during the cell cycle.
KeywordsRetinoblastoma Protein Pocket Protein Viral Oncoproteins Cellular Transcription Factor Pocket Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bandara LR, Ademczewski JP, Zamanian M, Hunt T, La Thangue NB (1992): Cyclin A recruits p33cdk2 to the cellular transcription factor DRTF1.J Cell Sci 16: 77–85Google Scholar
- Bandara LR, Lam EW-F, Sorensen TS, Zamanian M, Girling R, La Thangue NB (1994): DP-1: a cell cycle-regulated and phosphorylated component of transcription factor DRTF1/E2F which is functionally important for recognition by pRb and the adenovirus E4 orf 6/7 protein. EMBO J 13: 3104–3114PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bernards R, Schackleford GM, Gerber MR, Horowitz JM, Friend SH, Schartl M, Bogenmann E, Rapaport JM, McGee T, Dryja TP, Weinberg RA (1989): Structure and expression of the murine retinoblastoma gene and characterisation of its encoded protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 6474–6478PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hagemeier C, Bannister AJ, Cook A, Kouzarides T (1993a): The activation domain of transcription factor PUL binds the retinoblastoma (RB) protein and the transcription factor TFIID in vitro: RB shows sequence similarity to TFIID and TFIIB. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 1580–1584PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lam EW-F, Watson RJ (1993): An E2F binding site mediated cell cycle repression of mouse B-myb transcription. EMBO J 7: 2705–2713Google Scholar
- Mudryj M, Hiebert SW, Nevins JR (1990): A role for the adenovirus inducible E2F transcription factor in a proliferative dependent signal transduction pathway. EMBO 7 9:2179–2184Google Scholar
- Ogris E, Rotheneder H, Mudrak I, Pilcher A, Wintersberger E (1993): A binding site transcription factor E2F is a target for trans-activation of murine thymidine kinase by Polyomavirus large T antigen and plays an important role in growth regulation of the gene. J Virol 67: 1765–1771PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Partridge JF, La Thangue NB (1993): A developmental regulated and tissue-dependent transcription factor complexes with the retinoblastoma gene product. EMBO J 10: 3819–3827Google Scholar
- Sherr CJ (1993): Mammalian Gl cyclins. Cellll 1059–1065Google Scholar