Two purposes guided the writing of this introductory chapter. My first objective was to provide a concise history and background to the topic covered in this book. In doing so, I have drawn from specific examples of presynaptic inhibition that are not addressed in later chapters. This is an attempt to bind together work performed on a variety of preparations to provide an expanded view of our understanding of the mechanisms of presynaptic inhibition and how this understanding was obtained. It is anticipated that a discussion of these issues will expose important links between mechanisms of presynaptic inhibition in different preparations. A more thorough historical background can be obtained from Eccles (1964) and Nicoli and Alger (1979). My second objective was to present areas of research that I believe will be important in the near future or that perhaps deserve more attention than they have received.
KeywordsCalcium Current Transmitter Release Presynaptic Terminal Luteinizing Hormone Release Hormone Presynaptic Inhibition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frank K, Fuortes MGF (1957): Presynaptic and postsynaptic inhibition of monosynaptic reflexes. Fed Proc 16:39–40Google Scholar
- Gasser HS, Graham HT (1933): Potentials produced in the spinal cord by stimulation of dorsal roots. Am J Physiol 103:303–320Google Scholar
- Hughes J, Gasser HS (1934a): Some properties of the cord potentials evoked by a single afferent volley. Am J Physiol 108:295–306Google Scholar
- Hughes J, Gasser HS (1934b): The response of the spinal cord to two afferent volleys. Am J Physiol 108:301–321Google Scholar
- Kalsner S, Westfall TC (1990): Presynaptic receptors and the question of autoregulation of neurotransmitter release. Ann NY Acad Sci 604Google Scholar
- Liddell EGT, Sherrington CS (1925): Further observations on myotatic reflexes. Proc Roy Soc B 97:261–283Google Scholar
- Nicoli RA, Malenka RC, Kauer JA (1990): Functional comparison of neurotransmitter receptor subtypes in mammalian central nervous system. Phys Rev 70:513–565Google Scholar