CTL Recognition of Purified MHC Antigens and Other Cell Surface Ligands
T-cell receptor binding to peptide antigen-major histocompatibility complex (MHC) complexes or MHC alloantigen clearly plays the central role in activating T-cell responses. However, as discussed elsewhere in this volume, a number of additional receptor-ligand interactions, including LFA-1/ 1CAM, CD8/class 1, and binding of VLA to fibronectin or laminins, can either be required to initiate response or contribute to increased response levels. Both the types and amounts (surface densities) of ligands present on a target cell can determine the levels of responses, and may also determine whether a particular response occurs (e.g., proliferation vs. production of cytokines).
KeywordsAdditional Ligand Latex Microsphere Antigen Solution Planar Lipid Membrane Cell Surface Ligand
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coeshott CM, Chesnut RW, Kubo RT, Grammer SF, Jenis DM, Grey HM (1986): Ia-specific mixed leukocyte reactive T cell hybridomas: Analysis of their specificity by using purified Class II MHC molecules in a synthetic membrane system. J Immunol 136: 2832–2838Google Scholar
- Goldstein SAN, Mescher MF (1986): Cell-size, supported artificial membranes (pseudocytes): Response of precursor cytotoxic T lymphocytes to Class I proteins. J Immunol 137: 3383–3392Google Scholar
- Goldstein SAN, Mescher MF (1987): Cytotoxic T cell activation by Class I protein on cell-size artificial membranes: Antigen density and Lyt-2/3 function. J Immunol 138: 2034–2043Google Scholar
- Kane KP, Mescher MF (1990): Antigen recognition by T cells: Quantitative effects of augmentation by antibodies providing accessory adhesion. J Immunol 144: 824–829Google Scholar
- Kane KP, Sherman LA, Mescher MF (1989b): Molecular interactions required for triggering alloantigen-specific cytolytic T lymphocytes. J Immunol 142: 4153–4160Google Scholar
- Mescher MF (1992): Surface contact requirements for activation of cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Immunol 149: 2402–2405Google Scholar
- Mescher MF, O’Rourke AM, Champoux P, Kane KP (1991): Equilibrium binding of cytotoxic T lymphocytes to class I antigen. J Immunol 147: 36–41Google Scholar
- Quill H, Schwartz RH (1987): Stimulation of normal inducer T cell clones with antigen presented by purified la molecules in planar lipid membranes: Specific induction of a long-lived state of proliferative nonresponsiveness. J Immunol 138: 3704–3712Google Scholar