A 3 year old child was brought to the emergency room (ER) by the rescue squad after he was pulled from a freshwater pond. He had fallen through the ice and been submerged for approximately 5min. Initially, the child was apneic, pulseless, and cyanotic. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was started. Upon arrival in the ER, the patient was still receiving CPR and was being ventilated by bag mask. Initial core temperature was 30°C. Arterial blood gas values were pH 6.95, PaO2 250mmHg, PaCO2 68mmHg, HCO− 3 12mEqlL. Other laboratory results included Hgb 8.5gmldl, Hct 25.4%, Na+ 135mmol/L, K+ 3.4mmol/L, CL− 97mmol/L.
KeywordsContinuous Positive Airway Pressure Functional Residual Capacity Peritoneal Lavage Cold Water Immersion Intracranial Pressure Monitoring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Modell J.H.: Drowning, in Staub N.C., Taylor A.E. (eds): Edema. New York: Raven Press, 1984, pp 679–94.Google Scholar
- 3.Rasch D.K., Pollaro T.G.: Near-drowning in children: Management and outcome. NY State J Med 1988, 88: 427–33.Google Scholar
- 4.Quant L., Wentz K.R.: Outcome and predictors of outcome in pediatric submersion victims receiving prehospital care in King County, Washington. Pediatrics 1990, 86: 586–93.Google Scholar
- 7.Modell J.H., Spoler R.W.: Drowning and near-drowning, in Nunn J.F., Utting J.E., Brown B.R., Jr. (eds): General Anesthesia. London: Butterworths, pp 1288–94.Google Scholar
- 8.Modell J.H.: Near-drowning. Circulation 1986, 74(suppl IV):27–8.Google Scholar
- 10.Fuller R.H.: The clinical pathology of human near-drowning. Proc R Soc 1963, 56: 33–8.Google Scholar
- 11.Kristofferson M.B., Rattenberg C.C., Holaday D.A.: Asphyxiai death: The role of acute anoxia, hypercarbia and acidosis. Anesthesiology 1967, 28: 488–97.Google Scholar
- 12.Craig A.B. Jr.: Causes of loss of consciousness during underwater swimming. J Appl Physiol 1961, 61: 583–6.Google Scholar
- 22.Redding J.S.: Treatment of near-drowning. Int Anesthesiol Clin 1965, 3: 255–65.Google Scholar
- 30.Gonzalez-Roth R.L.J.: Near-drowning: Consensus and controversies in pulmonary and cerebral resuscitation. Heart Lung 1987, 16: 474–82.Google Scholar
- 31.Frewen T.C., Sumabat W.O., Han V.K., Amacher A.L., Del Maestro R.F., Sisbald W.J.: Cerebral resuscitation therapy in pediatric near-drowning. J Pediatr 106: 615–7.Google Scholar