A 21-year-old man came to the emergency room complaining of weakness and tremor. He reported that he had recently developed night sweats and nausea and vomiting, and that his urine was dark. There was no history of drug or alcohol abuse, and the patient denied homosexual contact. On several occasions in the past, he had been jaundiced but had not sought medical evaluation.
KeywordsOptic Neuritis Serum Copper Triethylene Tetramine Portal Vein Pressure Copper Excretion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Woods S.E., Colon V.F.: Wilson’s disease. Am Farn Physician 1989, 40(1): 171–6.Google Scholar
- 3.Idem D.: Tetanoid chorea and its association with cirrhosis of the liver. Rev Neurol Psychiatr 1906, 4: 249–53.Google Scholar
- 5.Katz J., Benumof J., Kadis L.E.: Genetic and metabolic disease, in Anesthesia and Uncommon Diseases. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co, 1981, pp 40–5.Google Scholar
- 8.Scheinberg I., Sternlieb I., Richman J.: Psychiatric manifestations in patients with Wilson’s disease. Birth Defects 1968, 4: 85–7.Google Scholar
- 9.Walshe J.: The eye in Wilson’s disease, in Bergshma D., Bron A.J., Cotlier E. (eds): The Eye and Inborn Errors of Metabolism. New York: Liss, 1976, pp 187–9.Google Scholar
- 10.Scheinberg LH., Sternlieb L: Wilson’s Disease. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1984, pp 93–8.Google Scholar
- 16.Brown B.R.: Pre-existing liver disease: Surgical and anesthesia risk assessment, in Nunn J.F., Utting J.E., Brown B.R. (eds): General Anesthesia. London: Butterworths, 1989, pp 383–91.Google Scholar
- 17.Brown B.R., McLain G.E.: The role of the liver, in Smith N.T., Corbascio A.N. (eds): Drug Interactions in Anesthesia. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1986, pp 63–70.Google Scholar
- 18.Sear J.W.: Effect of renal and hepatic disease on pharmacokinetics of anaesthetic agents, in Prys-Roberts C, Hug C.C. (eds): Pharmacokinetics in Anaesthesia. Boston: Blackwell, 1986, pp 64–88.Google Scholar
- 19.Brown B.R. Jr., Dykes M.H.M.: Anesthetic Hepatoxicity. ASA Annual Refresher Course Lectures, 138A B 1-4, 1981.Google Scholar
- 21.Heiniman H.O., Emingail C, Mijnseen J.R: Hyperventilation and arterial hypoxemia in cirrhosis of the liver. Am J Med 1960, 28: 234–40.Google Scholar
- 22.Stoelting R.K.: Estimation of hepatic function: effects of the anesthetic experience, Hershey S.G. (ed): Refresher Courses in Anesthesiology (vol. 4). Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1976, pp 139–50.Google Scholar