An 8-year-old boy was struck over the right eye with a stick. The incident occurred at midnight. Cursory examination in the emergency room revealed a cut right upper eyelid and a corneal laceration. Skull films showed an intact orbit. The patient had no significant past medical or surgical history. He had last eaten at 11 PM. The operating room staff was notified of the pending procedure at 2 AM. After discussion with the anesthesiologist, the operation was postponed until 6 AM to allow time for gastric emptying.
The child arrived in the holding area accompanied by his mother. He had patches on both eyes, and an intravenous line was in place. He was crying and resisting all attempts at examination. Diazepam 1.5 mg was administered intravenously, and good sedation was achieved. The remainder of the physical examination was unremarkable except for a loose upper incisor.
KeywordsIntraocular Pressure Aqueous Humor Extraocular Muscle Vitreous Humor Posterior Chamber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Donlon JV: Anesthesia for eye, ear, nose, and throat, in Miller RD (ed): Anesthesia. New York, Churchill Livingstone, 1986; pp 1837–94.Google Scholar
- 6.Saltzman HA, Anderson B, Hart L, et al: The retinal vascular functional response to hyperbaric oxygenation, in Hyperbaric Oxygenation. Proceedings of the Second International Congress. London, Churchill Livingstone, 1965; p 202.Google Scholar
- 12.Moses RA: Intraocular pressure, in Moses RA, Hart WM (eds): Adler’s Physiology of the Eye: Clinical Applications. St. Louis, C.V. Mosby Co, 1987; pp 223–45.Google Scholar
- 13.Von Sallmann L, Lowenstein O: Responses of intraocular pressure, blood pressure, and cutaneous vessels to electrical stimulation in the diencephalon. Am J Ophthalmol 1955;39:11–29.Google Scholar
- 17.Hoffman H, Holzer H: Die Wirkung von Muskelrelaxantien auf dem Intraokularen Druck. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilk 1953;123:1–16.Google Scholar
- 25.Badrinath S, Vazeery AK, Ivankovich AD: Effects of atracurium on intraocular pressure. ASA abstract. Anesthesiology 1985;63:A362.Google Scholar
- 26.Schneider MJ, Stirt JA, Finholt DA: Atracurium, vecuronium, and intraocular pressure in man. ASA abstract. Anesthesiology 1985;63:A334.Google Scholar
- 27.Abbott MA: The control of intraocular pressure during the induction of anaesthesia for emergency eye surgery. A high dose vecuronium technique. Anaesthesia 1987;42:1008–12.Google Scholar