Numerical Pathfollowing Beyond Critical Points in ODE Models
The paper deals with extensions of a continuation technique, that has recently been suggested and worked out by the authors. For turning point problems, an efficient technique is designed, which may be combined with any boundary value problem solver. For (simple) bifurcation points, several augmented systems are discussed in detail on the basis of stability considerations for ordinary differential equations. For difference or collocation methods, two efficient augmented systems are given. For multiple shooting techniques, an efficient and theoretically satisfactory treatment could only be found for “not too stiff” ODEs.
KeywordsBifurcation Point Multiple Shooting Augmented System Continuation Technique Kernel Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Deuflhard: Nonlinear Equation Solvers in Boundary Value Problem Codes. In: Childs et al. (ed.): Codes for Boundary-Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations (1979). Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- P. Deuflhard, G. Bader: Multiple Shooting Techniques Revisited. Univ. Heidelberg, SFB 123: Tech.Rep. 163 (1982).Google Scholar
- P. Deuflhard, B. Fiedler, P. Kunkel: Efficient Numerical Pathfol-lowing Beyond Critical Points. Univ. Heidelberg, SFB 123: Tech.Rep. 273 (1984).Google Scholar
- E.J. Doedel: AUTO-version Sept. 84 (VAX/VMS) Concordia Univ., Montreal: Comp.Sci. Dep.: Tech.Rep. (1984).Google Scholar
- E.J. Doedel, J.P. Kernevez: Software for Continuation Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations with Applications (Sept. 84).Google Scholar
- H.B. Keller: Numerical Solution of Bifurcation and Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problems. In , 359–384 (1977).Google Scholar
- G. Moore: The Application of Newton’s Method to Simple Bifurcation and Turning Point Problems. Univ. Bath: Ph.D. Thesis (1979).Google Scholar
- R. Seydel: BIFPACK- a Program Package for Calculating Bifurcations SUNY, Buffalo (1983).Google Scholar
- J. Stoer, R. Bulirsch: Introduction to Numerical Analysis. Springer (1980).Google Scholar
- H. Weber: Shooting Methods for Bifurcation Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations. In , 185–210 (1980).Google Scholar
- R. Winzen: Numerische Behandlung periodischer Lösungen dynamischer Systeme mit Paramterabhängigkeit. University of Heidelberg: Diploma thesis (1984).Google Scholar