Using Supercomputers to Model Heat Transfer in Biomedical Applications
This paper describes several approaches to converting numerical algorithms for use on supercomputers. The machine architecture which will be considered here is a vector computer. These approaches will be illustrated by considering two algorithms which arise in modelling heat transfer in biomedical applications. One algorithm is a vectorized matrix-vector multiply, and the other is a new, vectorized, over-lapping-block iterative method for solving finite element equations.
KeywordsVector Computer Irregular Grid Finite Element Equation Finite Element Grid Band Solver
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. C. Eberhardt and A. S. Shitzer, Eds., Heat Transfer in Medicine and Biology, Plenum Press, Nwe York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Farrant, “General Observations on Cell Preservation,” in Low Temperature Preservation in Medicine and Biology, M. J. Ashwood-Smith and J. Farrant, Eds., Univ. Park Press, Baltimore, p. 1 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.B. N. Jiang and G. F. Carey, “Subcritical Flow Computation Using Element-by-Element Conjugate Gradient Method,” Proceedings: Fifth International Symposium on Finite Elements and Flow Problems, Austin, Texas, January 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.D. R. Kincaid, T. C. Oppe, J. R. Respess and D. M. Young, ITPACKV2C User’s Guide, Center for Numer. Anal. Rpt., CNA-192, The University of Texas at Austin, February 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.L. J. Hayes, “A Vectorized Matrix-Vector Multiply and Overlapping Block Iterative Method,” Proceedings: Super Computer Applications Symposium, Purdue, R. Numerich, Ed., Plenum Publishing Co., 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.L. J. Hayes and Ph. Devloo, “An Element-by-Element Block Iterative Method for Large Non-Linear Problems,” ASME-WAM, New Orleans, Innovative Methods for Nonlinear Behavior, W. K. Liu, K. C. Park and T. Belytschko, eds., Pineridge Press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.L. J. Hayes, “Programming Supercomputers,” Chapter 22 in Handbook of Numerical Heat Transfer, M. C. Minkowicz and E. M. Sparrow, Eds., John Wiley & Sons, 1986.Google Scholar
- 15.R. W. Olsen, R. C. Eberhardt, L. J. Hayes, et al., “Influence of Extracerebral Temperature on Cerebral Temperature Distribution During Induction of Deep Hypothermia with Subsequent Circulatory Arrest,” 1984 ASME/WAM, 1984 Advances in Bioengineering, New Orleans.Google Scholar
- 16.D. P. O’Leary and E. B. White, “Multi-Splitting of Matrices and Parallel Solutions of Linear Systems,” Computer Science Technical Report 1362, University of Maryland, Dec. 1983.Google Scholar
- 18.A. M. Ostrowski, “On the Linear Iteration Procedures for Symmetric Matrices,” National Bureau of Standards Report No. 1844, August 1952, p. 23, 1968.Google Scholar
- 19.T. M. Shin, L. J. Hayes, M. C. Minkowicz, et al., “Parallel Computations in Heat Transfer,” Int’l. J. of Heat Transfer, in press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 20.D. M. Young, Iterative Solutions of Large Linear Systems, Academic Press, New York (1971).Google Scholar