Solving Large-Scale Integer Optimization Problems
We survey proven state-of-the-art solution techniques for solving large-scale integer optimization problems and describe an experimental software system for the solution of large 0–1 integer optimization problems. This system is built around a large commercial LP-system (MPSX/370) and uses sophisticated data structures for an efficient implementation. Numerical results for difficult and large real-life problems were significantly better than with traditional branch-and-bound algorithms such as implemented in commercial software systems.
KeywordsInteger Solution Side Constraint Logical Test Optimal Integer Solution Integer Optimization Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.M. Guignard, K. Spielberg and U. Suhl, Survey of enumerative methods for integer programming, in Proc. Share 51, (ACM 1978) 2161–2170Google Scholar
- 9.E.L. Johnson, M.M Kostreva and U.H. Suhl, Solving 0–1 Integer Programming Problems arising from Large Scale Planning Models, Opns. Res. 33(4), 803–819Google Scholar
- 10.E. Kalan, Aspects of large-scale in-core linear programming ACM Proc. of annual conference (1971), 304–313Google Scholar
- 15.T.G. Mairs, G.W. Wakefield, E.L. Johnson and K. Spielberg, On a production allocation and distribution problem, Man. Science 24(1978), 1622–1630Google Scholar
- 16.L.A. Oley and R.S. Sjoquist, Automatic Reformulation Of Mixed and Pure Integer Models To Reduce Solution Time In APEX IV, Paper presented at the ORSA/TIMS Meeting in San Diego, California, October 1982Google Scholar
- 17.C.J. Piper, Implicit enumeration: a computational study, Rep. 115, School of Bus. Adm., Univ. of West. Ont., 1974Google Scholar