Robot Applications for Batch Manufacturing and Job Shops
Continuous Flow Process Continuous dedicated production of large amounts of bulk product. Examples include continuous chemical process plants and oil refineries.
Mass Production of Discrete Products Dedicated production of large quantities of one product (with perhaps limited model variations). Examples include automobiles, appliances and engine blocks.
Batch Production Production of medium lot sizes of the same product. The lots may be produced once or repeated periodically. Examples include books, clothing, and certain industrial machinery.
Job Shop Production Production of low quantities, often one-of-a-kind, of specialized products. The products are often customized and technologically complex. Examples include prototypes, aircraft, machine tools and other equipment.
KeywordsIndustrial Robot Engine Block Programmable Automation Capital Equipment Robot Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Groover, Mikell P. and Hughes, John E., “Job Shop Automation Strategy Can Add Efficiency to Small Operation Flexibility,” Industrial Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 11, November 1981, pp 67–76.Google Scholar
- 2.Abraham, R. G., “Programmable Automation of Batch Assembly Operations,” The Industrial Robot, September 1977, pp 119–131.Google Scholar
- 3.American Machinist, October 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.1981 Annual Report, Cincinnati Milacron, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio.Google Scholar
- 5.Grierson, Donald K., “Automated Factory — An Engineering Challenge,” Instruments & Control Systems, March 1982, pp 36–41.Google Scholar
- 6.Tuttle, Howard D., “Planning for Robotics,” Production, July 1982, pp 79–97.Google Scholar
- 7.Holmes, John G., “Justifying a Robot Machining System in Batch Manufacturing,” Robotics Today, Summer 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Schraft, R. D. and Haaf, D., “Possibilities of Automatic Assembly in Small Batch Production,” Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Industrial Robots, Stuttgart, West Germany, 1978, pp 931–942.Google Scholar