Many spreadsheets are available, among which are EXCEL, LOTUS 1-2-3, ENABLE, QUATRO, and SYMPHONY (refs. 1–7). All offer mathematical tools suitable for digital simulation, and yet there is a dearth of literature addressing the use of desk- and laptop personal computers and spreadsheets for scientific and engineering applications—particularly the modeling of dynamic systems governed by Ordinary Differential Equations. This may be due in part to the spectacular acceptance of LOTUS by the Management community, which has established it as preeminent among all the spreadsheets, as it commands over half the market. Accordingly, we choose LOTUS 1-2-3 as the basis for the tutorial that follows.
KeywordsNonlinear System Dynamics Recursion Formula Linear Ordinary Differential Equation Digital Simulation Lissajous Figure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anon., 1-2-3 Tutorial, Release 2, LOTUS (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.Anon., 1-2-3 Reference Manual, Release 2, LOTUS (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.Harvey, G., The Complete Lotus 1-2-3 Handbook, Release 2.2, SYBEX (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.Pearson, R., and Campbell, M., Using EXCEL, IBM Version, QUE (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Anon., ENABLE Spreadsheet Graphics, The Softwear Group (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.Campbell, M., Mary Campbell’s QUATRO Pro Handbook, Bantam (1990) Google Scholar
- 7.Cole, D., Mastering Symphony, fourth edition, SYBEX (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.Kaiman, T., and Biot, M., Mathematical Methods in Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York (1940).Google Scholar
- 10.Kolk, W. R., Modern Flight Dynamics, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (1961).Google Scholar
- 11.Gerald, C. F., and Wheatley, P. O., Applied Numerical Analysis, third edition, Addison-Wesley (1984).Google Scholar
- 13.Kelly, L. G., Handbook of Numerical Methods and Applications, Addison-Wesley (1967).Google Scholar
- 14.Froberg, C, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Addison-Wesley (1965).Google Scholar
- 16.Ince, E. L., Ordinary Differential Equations, Dover, New York (1956).Google Scholar