Agronomic and economic benefits of nitrogen contributed by legumes in live-mulch and alley cropping systems
The challenge facing research on increasing food production in tropical Africa is to develop low input systems that are not only sustainable but also economically viable. At the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, substantial resources are devoted to research on alley cropping and live-mulch systems. These are among the potential alternatives to the bush fallow system that would sustain food production with low purchased inputs in the humid and subhumid tropics.
KeywordsCover Crop Maize Yield Sustain Food Production Companion Crop Live Mulch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akobundu, I.O. (1980) Proc. British Crop Prot. Corf. — Weeds, pp. 377–382.Google Scholar
- 3.Allison, J.R. & Ott, S.L. (1987) in The Role of Legumes in Conservation Tillage Systems, ed. Power, J.F. (Soil Conservation Society of America, Athens), pp. 145–150.Google Scholar
- 4.Herridge, D.F. & Bergersen, FJ. (1988) in Advances in Nitrogen Cycling in Agricultural Ecosystems, ed. Wilson, J.R. (C.A.B. L, Aberystwyth), pp. 46–65.Google Scholar
- 5.Kang, B.T. (1988) in Advances in Nitrogen Cycling in Agricultural Ecosystems, ed. Wilson, J.R. (C.A.B. I., Aberystwyth), pp. 338–348.Google Scholar
- 6.Kang, B.T. & Duguma, B. (1985) in Nitrogen Management in Farming Systems in Humid and Subhumid Tropics, ed Kang, B.T. & Van der Heide, J. (Institute for Soil Fertility, IB, Haren), pp. 269–284.Google Scholar
- 8.Lawson, T. (1989) in Resource and Crop Management Program. Annual Report 1987. (International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria), pp. 51–53.Google Scholar
- 9.Mulongoy, K. (1986) Biol. Agric. & Hortic. 3, 341–346.Google Scholar
- 11.Mulongoy, K. & Akobundu, I.O. (1985) in Nitrogen Management in Farming Systems in Humid and Subhumid Tropics, eds. Kang, B.T. & Van der Heide, J. (Institute for Soil Fertility, IB, Haren), pp. 285–290.Google Scholar
- 13.Mulongoy, K. Owoaje, B.T., Ibewiro, E.B. & Okogun, J.A. (1988) in Nitrogen Fixation: Hundred Years After, eds. Bothe, H., de Bruijn, FJ. & Newton, W.E. (Gustav Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart), p. 824Google Scholar
- 16.Raintree, J.B. & Turay,F.(1980) IITA Research Briefs 1, 5–7.Google Scholar
- 19.Sumberg, J.E., McIntire, J., Okali, C. & Atta-Krah, A. (1987) ILCA Bulletin, 28, 2–6.Google Scholar
- 20.Wilson, G.F., Kang, B.T. & Mulongoy, K. (1986) Biol. Agric. & Hort. 3, 251–267.Google Scholar