Mini-Supercomputers: New Perspectives in Scientific Computation and Simulation
Mini-supercomputers and their significance in scientific computation and systems simulation are discussed. These mini-supercomputers with a considerably favorable cost/performance ratio appeared on the market recently. In this paper we consider in some detail two specific examples of these commercial products: the NCube/4+ parallel computer and the Convex C-l vector processor, both available at the author’s institute (Delft University of Technology).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DONG85]Dongarra, J.J.: Performance of various computers using standard linear equations software in a Fortran environment. Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Technical Memorandum No. 23, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL., December 1985.Google Scholar
- [FADD84]Fadden, E.J.: The System 10 Plus: Broader horizons. In: W. Karplus (Ed.): Peripheral Array Processors. Simulation Series, Vol.14 No. 2. Simulation Councils, Inc. (Society for Computer Simulation), San Diego/California, 1984.Google Scholar
- [HAYE86]Hayes, J.P., T. Mudge, Q.F. Stout: A microprocessor-based hypercube supercomputer. IEEE Micro, October 1986, pp.6–17.Google Scholar
- [KARP84]Karplus, W.J. (Ed): Peripheral Array Processors. Simulation Series, Vol.14 No.2. Simulation Council, Inc. (Society for Computer Simulation), San Diego/California, 1984.Google Scholar
- [KARP87]Karplus, W.J. (Ed.): Multiprocessors and Array Processors. Simulation Series, Vol.18 No 2, Simulation Council, Inc. (Society for Computer Simulation), San Diego/California, 1987.Google Scholar
- [KERC85]Kerckhoffs, E.J.H., S.W. Brok: The Delft Parallel Processor: Properties and utilization in simulation and related fields. Systems Analysis, Modelling and Simulation (Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Simulation in Systems Analysis). Akademieverlag, Berlin (GDR), Vol.2 (1985); pp. 175–208.Google Scholar
- [LOUI81]Louie, T. Array Processor: A selected bibliography. Computer, September 1981, pp.53–57.Google Scholar
- [SPRI82]Spriet, J.A., G.C. Vansteenkiste: Computer-Aided Modelling and Simulation / International Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Academic Press, London 1982.Google Scholar