Clinical research is an interactive enterprise. Research progress stems from a constant ebb and flow between research questions, methods, and results as data accumulate and as findings are incorporated into clinical practice. There is, however, no completely standardized protocol to shape the conduct of a study. Projects twist and turn in direction as they run their course as a result of serendipity, preliminary results, logistical hurdles, and most importantly, the conduct of the investigators themselves.
KeywordsUterine Contraction Data Collection Form Premature Rupture Research Case Study Data Collection Instrument
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hamilton M. Lectures on the Methodology of Clinical Research, ed 2. Edinburgh, England: Churchill Livingstone, 1974.Google Scholar
- 3.Schlesselman JJ. Case-Control Studies: Design, Conduct, Analysis. New York: Oxford University Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.Fletcher RH, Fletcher SW, Wagner EH. Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.Cartwright A. Health Surveys in Practice and in Potential: A Critical Review of Their Scope and Methods. London: King Edward’s Hospital Fund for London, 1983. (Distributed by Oxford University Press.)Google Scholar
- 6.Gordon MJ. Research workbook: a guide for initial planning of clinical, social and behavioral research projects. J Fam Pract 7:145–160, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General’s Office. United States Army. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. Series 1, Vol. 1, 1880.Google Scholar
- 8.Young MJ, Bresnitz EA, Strom BL. Sample size nomograms for interpreting negative clinical studies. Ann Intern Med 99:248–251, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Druzin ML, Paul RH, Gratacos J. Current status of the contraction stress test. J Rep Med 25:222–226, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.Oki EY. A protocol for the nipple stimulation CST. Contemp Obstet Gynecol 22:157–159, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.Quality Control Manual for Epidemiologic Studies. WESTAT, Environmental Studies Section, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, September 1982.Google Scholar
- 12.Babbie ER. The Practice of Social Research, ed 2. Belmont, California: Wads-worth Publishing, 1979.Google Scholar
- 13.Calnan J. One Way to Do Research: The A-Z for Those Who Must. London: William Heinemann Medical Books, 1976.Google Scholar