The Recreational Fishery at Pilgrim Shorefront
A creel census conducted during 1973–1975 determined fishing effort, catch, and value of the recreational fishery at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station’s Shorefront. An estimated 21,120 angler visits were made and 9,332 fishes caught for a mean catch rate of 0.22 fish per angling hour. Cunner (Tautogolabrus adspersus) 37%, bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) 32%, and pollock (Pollachius virens) 13% accounted for 82% of the total catch. Economic value of this fishery was estimated at $39,000 annually during the study period.
Sportfishing activity increased through the spring, peaked in July or August, and declined in autumn. Highest monthly catch rate occurred in September during two of the three years. Fishing success (catch rate) appeared to be influenced by species availability, anglers’ skill, and plant operation. Large numbers of small fishes in the outfall area provided abundant forage for sportfishes. Nevertheless, catch rates were lower than reported from other coastal areas of Massachusetts.
KeywordsStriped Bass Fishing Effort Total Catch Catch Rate Recreational Fishery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, C. O., Jr., D. J. Brown, B. Ketschke, E. Elliott, and P. Rule. 1975. The effects of the addition of a fourth generating unit at the Salem Harbor electric generating station on the marine ecosystem of Salem Harbor. Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries. 47 pp.Google Scholar
- Bigelow, H. B. and W. C. Schroeder. 1953. Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Fisheries Bulletin 53:1–577.Google Scholar
- Fairbanks, R. B., W. S. Collings, and W. T. Sides. 1971. An assessment of the effects of electric power generation upon marine resources in the Cape Cod Canal. Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries. 48 pp.Google Scholar
- Fitzpatrick, W. A. and S. Russell. 1961. Massachusetts marine sport fisheries inventory. Massachusetts Division of Fish and Game, Fisheries Bulletin Number 26. 46 pp.Google Scholar
- LI Lyman, H. 1975. Successful bluefishing. International Marine. 128 pp.Google Scholar
- Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries. 1977. Summarization of Massachusetts Marine Sportfishing Statistics, 1975. 100 Cambridge Street, Boston, Massachusetts. 42 pp.Google Scholar
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service. 1972. National survey of fishing and hunting-1970. Research Publication 95. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar