Some Exploratory Tools for Survival Analysis
Graphical and computer-intensive methods for exploring survival data are becoming more widely available, though perhaps not yet widely used. We review some recent developments in this area, including running quantile plots, local estimation of the relative risk function, and recursive partitioning. The use of Martingale residuals in some of these methods will be contrasted with other approaches. The methods are applied to data on patients with multiple myeloma treated on trials conducted by the Southwest Oncology Group.
KeywordsMultiple Myeloma Terminal Node American Statistical Association Partial Likelihood Exploratory Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beran, R. (1981). Nonparametric regression with randomly censored survival data. Technical Report, Department of Statistics, University of California-Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Doksum, K. A. and Yandell, B. S. (1983). Properties of regression estimates based on censored survival data. In Festschrift for Erich L. Lehmann, P. J. Bickel, K. A. Doksum and J. L. Hodges, Eds, 140–156, Wadsworth, Belmont, CA.Google Scholar
- Gordon, L. and Olshen, R. A. (1985). Tree-structured survival analysis. Cancer Treatment Reports, 69, 1065–1069.Google Scholar
- Lagakos, S. W. (1981). The graphical evaluation of explanatory variables in proportional hazards regression models. Biometrika, 40, 1037–1048.Google Scholar
- Mantel, N. (1966). Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration. Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, 50, 163–170.Google Scholar
- Salmon, S. E., Tesh, D., Crowley, J., Saeed, S., Finley, P., Milder, M. S., Hutchins, L. F., Coltman, C. A. Jr., Bonnet, J. D., Cheson, B., Knost, J. A., Samhouri, A., Beckord, J. and Stock-Novack, D. (1990). Chemotherapy is superior to sequential hemibody irradiation for remission consolidation in multiple myeloma: A Southwest Oncology Group Study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 8, 1575–1584.Google Scholar
- Salmon, S. E., Crowley, J., Grogan, T. M., Finley, P., Pugh, R. P. and Barlogie, B. (1994). Combination chemotherapy glucocorticoids, and interferon alpha in the treatment of multiple myeloma: A Southwest Oncology Group study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 12, 2405–2414.Google Scholar