The compounds of arsenic have high biological activity. Among the numerous arsenic compounds are known substances that show powerful insecticidal, fungicidal, herbicidal, and zoocidal effects. A common disadvantage of all the compounds of arsenic without exception is their high toxicity to man and domestic animals. Even some organoarsenic compounds that are relatively low in toxicity to warm-blooded animals are converted to toxic inorganic compounds when they undergo mineralization in animal organisms, in the soil, or in plants. When arsenic compounds are used systematically they can accumulate in the soil and then enter plants. For example, in the United States arsenic has been found in tobacco decades after use had been discontinued on the plots where it was grown. When arsenic compounds have been used for plant protection, massive poisonings of domestic animals have been observed, especially in places where forage crops have been treated with such preparations.
KeywordsSodium Arsenite Arsenic Compound Wettable Powder Arsenic Acid Calcium Arsenate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babin, V. V., L. I. Isakova, G. S. Levskaya, E. P. Ugryumov, and L. N. Shiryaeva: Khim. y Sel’skom khozyaistve 4, 923 (1966).Google Scholar
- Gabrielova, M. G., and M. A. Morozova: Proizvodstvo yadokhimikatov [Production of pesticides]. State Scientific and Tedinical Publishing House of Chemical Literature [USSR] (1953).Google Scholar
- Freidlina, R. KH.: Sintetidieskie metody V oblasti metalloorganicheskikh soedinenii mysh’yaka [Synthetic methods in the field of organometallic compounds of arsenic]. Publishing House of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R. (1945).Google Scholar
- Guthrie, F. E., and T. G. Bowery: Residue Reviews 19, 31 (1967).Google Scholar
- Kamai, G. KH., and B. D. Chernokal’skii: In book “Reaktsii i metody issledovaniya organicheskikh soedinenii” [Reactions and methods of investigation of organic com-pounds], vol. 13, pp. 7-126. Publishing House “Khimiya” (1964).Google Scholar
- Lazarev, N. V., ed.: Vrednye veshchestva v promyshlennosti [Harmful substances in industry]. Handbook, part II, pp. 163-185. Publishing House “Khimiya” (1965).Google Scholar
- Neorganidieskie insektitsidy, fungitsidy i zootsidy [Inorganic insecticides, fungicides, and zoocides]. Coll. vol. State Scientific and Technical Publishing House of Chemical Literature [USSR] (1960).Google Scholar