Silicon Nitride-Silicon Dioxide Combinations
While it would be desirable to replace completely SiO2 by Si3N4, such structures exhibit hysteresis in surface behavior and charge instability due to the high number of surface charges, tunneling and trapping at the Si-Si3N4 interface as noted in the previous sections of this survey. Two major approaches have been taken to solve these problems: (1) mixed oxy-nitride system, (2) nitride-oxide layer composite structure. Each approach will be discussed separately and has been investigated by numerous investigators.
KeywordsSilicon Nitride Thermal Oxide Etch Rate Breakdown Voltage Composite Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Silicon Nitride-Silicon Dioxide Combinations References
- 3.DOO, V.Y. and D.R. KERR. Investigation of Refractory Dielectrics for Integrated Circuits. INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP., Report No. NASA-CR-995. Mar. 1968. 73 p.Google Scholar
- 7.FORGENG, W.D. and B.F. DECKER. Nitrides of Silicon. AIME METALLURGICAL SOC., TRANS., June 1958. p. 343–348.Google Scholar
- 10.JONES, R.E. and V.Y. DOO. Integrated Circuit Isolation with Silicon Nitride. ELECTROCHEM. TECHNOL., May-June 1967. p. 297–298.Google Scholar
- 11.SAVAGE, J.A. et al. Investigation of Silicon Nitride Thin Films for Use in MOST Devices. Royal Radar Establishment (Malvern, Eng.). In its RRE NEWSLETTER AND RESEARCH REVIEW, v. 7, 1968. p. 15/1–2. NASA N69–28679.Google Scholar
- 14.WANG, P. and N. VanBUREN. Dielectric Films as Crosspoints in Switching Matrices. SYLVANIA ELECTRIC PRODUCTS, Report No. RADC-TR-69–185, July 1969. 73 p. AD 692 170.Google Scholar
- 15.SWAROOP, B. D-C Conduction in Silicon Nitride and Silicon Nitride-Oxide Composites. Abstract No. 7. The Electrochemical Society, Extended Abstracts of Spring Meeting, Los Angeles, May 10–15, 1970. p. 26–28.Google Scholar
- 16.SCHAFFER, P.S. and B. SWAROOP. Vapor Phase Growth and dc Breakdown of Silicon Nitride Films. CERAMIC BULLETIN, v. 49, no. 5, 1970. p. 536–538.Google Scholar
- 18.SZEDON, J.R. and T.L. CHU. Paper presented at IEEE Solid State Device Research Conference, Santa Barbara, Calif., June 19–21, 1967.Google Scholar
- 19.SWAROOP, B. and P.S. SCHAFFER. Conduction in Silicon Nitride and Silicon Nitride-Oxide Films. J. OF PHYS., D, v. 3, no. 5, May 1970. p. 803–806.Google Scholar