Ca/CaM-Stimulated and cGMP-Specific Phosphodiesterases in Vascular and Non-Vascular Tissues
A large body of evidence indicates that guanosine 3’,5’-cyclic monophosphate (cGMP) plays an essential role in vasorelaxant actions of various agents such as atrial natriuretic factor (ANF), nitrogen oxide containing compounds (e.g., nitroprusside) and endothelium dependent vasodilators (e.g., acetylcholine) (1). These agents elevate cGMP by stimulating either soluble or particulate guanylate cyclase (1).
KeywordsBovine Brain Atrial Natriuretic Factor Cyclic Nucleotide Phosphodiesterase cAMP Hydrolysis cGMP Hydrolysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beavo JA. Multiple isozymes of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase. Adu Second Messenger Phosphoprotein Res 22: 1–38, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Hidaka H, Endo T. Selective inhibitors of three forms of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases—basic and potential clinical applications. Adv Cyclic Nucleotide Res 16: 245–259, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Ahn HS, Crim W, Romano M, Moroney S, Pitts B. Effects of selective inhibitors on cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases (PDEs) of rabbit and pig aorta. Pharmacologist 29: 522, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Bergstrand H, Kristoffersson J, Lundquist B, Schurmann A. Effects of antiallergic agents, compounds 48/80, and some reference inhibitors on the activity of partially purified human lung tissue adenosine cyclic 3’,5’-monophosphate and guanosine cyclic 3’5’monophosphate phosphodiesterases. Mol Pharmacol 13: 38–43, 1977.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ahn HS, Crim W, Romano M, Moroney SJ, Sybertz EJ, Pitts B. Calmodulin dependent phosphodiesterase (CaM-PDE) and cyclic GMP specific PDE (cG-PDE) distribution and response to inhibitors in aorta and non-vascular tissues. Pharmacologist 30: A213, 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.Hansen RS, Beavo AJ. Differential recognition of calmodulinenzyme complexes by a conformation-specific anti-calmodulin monoclonal antibody. JBiol Chem 261: 14636–14645, 1986.Google Scholar
- 13.Ahn HS, Crim W, Pitts B, Sybertz EJ. Ca/CaM-stimulated and cGMP specific phosphodiesterases: tissue distribution, drug sensitivity and regulation of cGMP levels. Adv Second Messenger Phosphoprotein Res, Vol. 24, In Press, 1990.Google Scholar