Frequency Analysis of Skinned Indirect Flight Muscle From a Myosin Light Chain 2 Deficient Mutant of Drosophila Melanogaster with a Reduced Wing Beat Frequency
Muscle contraction is regulated by proteins associated with either the thick (myosin-containing) or thin (actin-containing) filaments. The relative importance of each set of regulatory proteins varies between muscle types (Adelstein and Eisenberg, 1980). One type of regulation, typical of smooth and non-muscle cells, involves phosphorylation of the regulatory light chain on myosin, while the other, typical of vertebrate striated muscle, involves Ca2+ binding to the troponin on actin.
KeywordsMyosin Light Chain Flight Muscle Regulatory Light Chain Indirect Flight Muscle Stretch Activation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bendat, J. S. and Piersol, G., 1986, “Random data: analysis and measurement procedures”, Wiley-Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- Moore, R. L. and Stull, J. T., 1984, Myosin light chain phosphorylation in fast and slow skeletal muscles in situ, Am. J. Physiol., 247: C462.Google Scholar
- Stull, J. T., Bowman, B. F., Gallagher, P. J., Herring, B. P., Hsu, L., Kamm, K. E., Kubota, Y., Leachman, S. A., Sweeney, H. L., and Tansey, M. G., 1990, Myosin phosphorylation in smooth and skeletal muscles: regulation and function, in: “Frontiers in Smooth Muscle Research”, N. Sperelakis, J. D. Wood, eds., Wiley-Liss, New York, p. 107.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, S., Takano-Ohmuro, H., and Maruyama, K., 1990a Regulation of Drosophila myosin ATPase activity by phosphorylation of myosin light chains — I. wild-type fly, Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 95B: 179.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, S., Takano-Ohmuro, H., Maruyama, K., 1990b, Regulation of Drosophila myosin ATPase activity by phosphorylation of myosin light chains-II. Flightless mfδ-fly, Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 95B: 183.Google Scholar
- Takano-Ohmuro H., Takahashi, S., Hirose, G. K., Maruyama, K., 1990, Phosphorylated and dephosphorylated myosin light chains of Drosophila fly and larva, Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 95B: 171.Google Scholar
- Unwin, D. M. and Ellington, C. P., 1979, An optical tachometer for measurement of the wing-beat frequency of free-flying insects, J. Exp. Biol., 82: 377.Google Scholar
- Warmke, J., 1990, Genetic analysis of myosin light chain-2 function in Drosophila melanogaster, Ph.D. dissertation: The Ohio State University, Columbus OH.Google Scholar
- Yamakawa, M., Molloy, J., Falkenthal, S., and Maughan, D., 1990a, pCa-tension curves and kinetics of stretch activation in skinned single fibers from Drosophila melanogaster, Biophys. J., 57: 540a.Google Scholar
- Yamakawa, M., Warmke, J., Falkenthal, S., and Maughan, D., 1990b, Properties of skinned muscle fibers from myosin light chain-2. Deficient flightless mutants of Drosophila melanogaster, Biophys. J., 57: 411a.Google Scholar