Control and Function of Alterations in Contractile Protein Isoform Expression in Vascular Smooth Muscle
The use of autologous saphenous veins for reconstruction of occluded, atherosclerotic peripheral and coronary arteries is a surgical procedure widely used to relieve the symptoms of compromised arterial flow. Independent of graft location, failure within the first week results primarily from thrombus formation while late failure (months to years) can be due to intimai and medial hypertrophy and/or the re-occurrence of atherosclerosis (Unni et al., 1974; Lawrie et al., 1976; Gunthaner et al., 1979; Tracey et al., 1979).
KeywordsMyosin Heavy Chain Saphenous Vein Vein Graft Intimal Thickening Myosin Heavy Chain Isoforms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barja, F., Coughlin, C., Belin, D., and Gabbiani, G., 1986, Actin isoform synthesis and mRNA levels in quiescent and proliferating rat aortic smooth muscle cells in vivo and in vitro, Lab. Invest., 55: 226.Google Scholar
- Bevan, J. A., Bevan, R. D., Chang, P. C., Pegram, B. L., Purdy, R. E., and Su, C., 1975, Analysis of changes in reactivity of rabbit arteries and veins two weeks after induction of hypertension by coarctation of the abdominal aorta, Cric. Res., 37: 183.Google Scholar
- DeBiasio, R. L., Wang, L.-L., Fisher, G. W., and Taylor, D. L., The dynamic distribution of fluorescent analogues of actin and myosin in protrusions at the leading edge of migrating Swiss 3T3 fibroblasts, J. Cell Biol., 107: 2631.Google Scholar
- Kocher, O., Skalli, O., Bloom, W. S., and Gabbiani, G., Cytoskeleton of rat aortic smooth muscle cells: Normal conditions and experimental intimai thickening, Lab. Invest., 50: 645.Google Scholar
- Seidel, C. L., Allen, J. C., Wallace, C. L., Jemelka, S. K., Navran, S. S., and Dennison, D. K., 1990, Relationship between cell Na, Na pump number, myosin expression and proliferation in cultured canine vascular smooth muscle cells, in: “Molecular Biology of the Cardiovascular System”, R. Roberts, M. D. Schneider, eds., Wiley-Liss, New York, p. 269.Google Scholar
- Sellers, J. R. and Umemoto, S., 1989, Effect of multiple phosphorylations on movement of smooth muscle and cytoplasmic myosin, in: “Calcium Protein Signalling”, H. Hidaka, E. Carafoli, A. R. Means, T. Tanaka, eds., Plenum Press, New York, p. 299.Google Scholar