The Wavelet Transform as Clustering Tool for the Determination of Asteroid Families
The determination of asteroid families is a long standing problem already present within their distribution with respect to their semi major axis. Such an histogram exhibits indeed structures, and, whereas holes resulted in the identification of the so-called Kirkwood gaps, peaks suggested the idea that asteroids might be distributed into families. This latter concept is supported by the break up theory. Within this framework the collision-induced burst of an asteroid leads in fact to what is named a family, that is, the set of fragments whose relative speeds are greater than the speed of ejection (see Housen and Holsapple, 1990 and references therein).
KeywordsWavelet Coefficient Semi Major Axis Relative Speed Cluster Tool Proper Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bijaoui, A., Slezak, E., Mars, G., Giuducelli, M.: 1989, 12éme colloque dn GRETSI sur le Traitement du signal et des images., 1,209–211 Détection d’objets faibles dans lea images celestes á l’aide de la transformée en ondelettes.Google Scholar
- Daubechies, I.: 1990, I.E.E.E. Trans, on Information Theory The wavelet transform, time frequency localization and signal analysis.Google Scholar
- Gabor, D.: 1946, J. I.E.E.E. 93,429–441 Theory of communication.Google Scholar
- Grossmann, A., Morlet, J.: 1985, in Mathematics+Physics, Lectures on recent results, L. Streit (Ed.), World Scientific Publishing Decomposition of functions into wavelets of constant shape, and related transforms.Google Scholar
- Mallat, S.: 1989a, I.E.E.E. Trans, on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition: the wavelet representation.Google Scholar
- Mallat, S.: 1989b, I.E.E.E. Trans, on Acoustic Speech and Signal Processing Review of multifrequency channel decompositions of images and wavelet models.Google Scholar
- Meyer, Y.: 1989, p. 21–37 in Wavelets, time-frequency methods and phase space, J.M. Combes, A. Grossmann, Ph. Tchamitchian (Eds.), Springer-Verlag Orthonormal wavelets. Google Scholar
- Milani, A. and Knezevic, Z.: 1990, Celestial Mechanic submittedGoogle Scholar
- Valsechi, G.B., Knezevic, Z., Williams, J.G.: 1989, in Asteroids II ed. T. Gehrels (Univ. of Arizona,Tucson), pp 1073–1089Google Scholar
- Zappalá,V.,Cellino,A.,Farinella,P.,Knezevic,Z.: 1990, Astron. J. submitted Asteroid Families. Google Scholar