DNA Probes and PCR Analysis in the Detection of Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori
We have undertaken the molecular characterisation of a variety of species-specific antigens and potential virulence determinants from the enteric pathogens Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori. The cloning and sequencing of these determinants has allowed the construction of nucleic acid probes and the synthesis of oligonucleotide primers used in PCR analysis for the sensitive and specific detection of these organisms.
KeywordsPolymerase Chain Reaction Analysis Clostridium Difficile Pylorus Strain HindIII Fragment Toxigenic Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.B. W. Wren, C. L. Clayton, N. Castledine and S. Tabaqchali, Identification of toxigenic Clostridium difficile strains using a toxin A gene-specific probe. J Clin Micro 28: 1808–12 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.B. W. Wren, N. B. Castledine and S. Tabaqchali, A sensitive oligonucleotide probe for the specific identification of toxigenic Clostridium difficile. J Med Micro 31: xvii (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.B. W. Wren, C. L. Clayton, and S. Tabaqchali, Rapid identification of toxigenic Clostridium difficile by PCR. Lancet 423, 335 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.B. W. Wren, M. J. Pallen, and S. Tabaqchali, Beneficial effects of jumping PCR in diagnostic procedures. Lancet 1540, 335 (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.C. L. Clayton, H. Kleanthous, B. W. Wren, P. Mullany, A. Topping, and S. Tabaqchali, Molecular cloning and characterisation of Campylobacter pylori species-specific antigens in E. coli K-12, in Gastroduodenal pathology and Campylobacter pylori, F. Megraud, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.C. L. Clayton, M. J. Pallen, H. Kleanthous, B. W. Wren, and S. Tabaqchali, Molecular cloning and sequencing of Helicobacter pylori urease genes and detection of H. pylori using PCR. encoding for urease subunits, in Helicobacter pylori, Gastritis and peptic ulcer, P. Malfertheiner and H. Ditschuneit, eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1990).Google Scholar